Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

season is over....best yet

Old 11-24-2006, 08:42 PM

Default season is over....best yet

Well our deer season is over here in NB Canada. It ended last saturday and I must say it was the best season for myself and my 3 other hunting partners (wife, father, best friend). My father and wife each tagged out the first day(oct 23)with 7pointers and my best friend took a huge 9 point (Nov 10).
I had a anterless deer permit and they didn't so I could have shot either a buck or doe. I tend to leave the doe tag open until late in the season so I have a chance at a buck. We are only allowed 1 deer per year here and you must apply to get a doe tag. Well after they each got very decent deer I decided that I wasn't going to shoot a doe until the last day and if she had fawns with her I wasn't shooting a doe at all. I hunted the last week of the season ever afternoon and seen 4 does and 2 fawns every day but friday. I said if they are there on saturday I may take a doe but I knew there was a huge buck in the area as I found 4 scraps and 1 tree rub the week before and got a glimpse of him on Nov 11 but couldn't get within range before he took off chasing does...Well Saturday came and I was late getting out and the does and fawns were out feeding when i arrived.....I decided to let them pass. I never seen the buck that day and even though my tag was not filled I know it could have been and I choose not too. There is lots of venision in the freezer and I seen so much game it was the best season to date.

I posted the pics before but here is the link

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l199/NBDeerHunter/

only 10 months to go until next season. May try hunt bear in the spring...never done it and the meat isn't too bad.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: season is over....best yet

congrats on a good season! now time to start prep'n for next year