HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   hunting luck or skill (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/166722-hunting-luck-skill.html)

deerhunter1224 11-24-2006 07:40 PM

hunting luck or skill

I was talking with a friend he shot two deer just walking to his stand. It got me thinking some people are just lucky. So is hunting more luck or skill? I never seem to have any good luck.

CamoCop 11-24-2006 07:42 PM

RE: hunting luck or skill

both. skill: finding the right spot and doing what you can to maximize your success. luck: being there at the right time and place.

RyansTitan05 11-24-2006 07:54 PM

90% skill and 10 % luck! If you dont do your homework youll hardly ever have success!

spudrow 11-24-2006 08:01 PM

I think it is both. I'd rather be lucky than bethe most proficient hunter.
If you do your home work you can better your odds.

Sniper151 11-24-2006 09:32 PM

You create you own luck when you do your homework. The skills will harvest the game.

Matt/TN 11-24-2006 09:33 PM

yup i agree with sniper, you put yourself in position to get lucky

retrieverman 11-24-2006 09:57 PM

I had rather be lucky than good anyday. Even with all the preparation in the world, you still have to be at the right place, at the right time, and have everything go just right to be successful as a deer hunter. I kill several deer EVERY year between the two states that I hunt. Am I good, NO, but I am dang LUCKY! 9 in 2005, 5 so far in 2006, and I helped my son bag 5 in 2006.

skeeter 7MM 11-24-2006 11:02 PM

If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any!

I sure would like a dose of luck but have to rely on putting myself in a position in order to be lucky.;)

craig 11-24-2006 11:13 PM

Having well tuned skills is very important. But luck will always play a big roll as well.

Such as having all the ag crops harvested on and next to the propertys I can hunt this year prior to the opener. But having a standing corn field 2 farms over where NO hunting is allowed.

So in spite of better preperations than average this year, I've yet to fire a shot so far this season.

Very few wood lots around this area I live in, the deer LOVE standing corn fields.

sandilands 11-25-2006 03:10 AM

Seems its both. I have all the luck in the world when it comes to does. I wait and wait during the rut on these doe stands and never see a good buck. Spikers all over the place. I put a buddy of mine on one of my stands and he see's 3 bucks. I did the scouting and stand placement and he gets the bucks. I see bucks on the rd on the way to my stands. MORE LUCK..... I think.