Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Charged by black bear!

Old 11-24-2006, 05:28 PM

Default Charged by black bear!

This is my 12th year deer hunting. Needless to say, I have yet to bag a buck. (I did shoot one, unknowingly, my 2nd year, but because of my lack of experience, I was unable to track it. Found it the next day, it was already torn to shreads. A nice spike - my buddies took the scull cap for me.) This year, opening day - NY southern zone, just got into my posted spot, & hear heavy steps directly behind me. I slowly turn, to see a black bear. Surprised, but not particularly worried. I figured it would run. He gets into a staring match with me, & at this time I'm staddling my rifle to the side of my body. He then makes 2 aggressive moves toward me. After the 2nd, I take aim, not sure what I should do. (Official bear season would not start until 2 days later.) All the time, I'm trying to scare him away by yelling at him. He finally makes a charge at me. I fire, hitting him directly in the middle of his chest. An easy shot, perhaps 10 yards. He goes down immediately. I contact DEC. They come out & do a reenactment scene with me. Estimated weight - 250 lbs. They find I was justified, especially with the shot placement. They inform me, that there's no way I can take the animal. They ask me if I have a camera, naturally I don't. It looks like it will just be a story. They inform me that they will take a couple of pictures, & Email them to me. I have the DEC officer's card, but at this time, I'm still waiting. Go figure??? I'm probaly 1 of the few hunters out there to make a bear kill, before taking a deer. Just my luck! I will follow with pictures. when/if I get them.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Charged by black bear!

good story, i would have done the same thing. post pic's when you get them.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang bear came out for Zeus season. Glad things went the way they did.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Site Buck Guru

Did you have a spare change of underwear with you???[:-]
Old 11-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

HI Zeuss,without getting to specific what part of the southern zone were you in? Glad that you had the presence of mind to put the animal down!
Old 11-25-2006, 07:45 AM

that s a shame it had to come down to you shooting the bear but them not letting you keep it is a shame it will probably go to waste, good to see your in one piece thou
Old 11-25-2006, 03:04 PM

The bear episode was in Monticello NY - (Sullivan County.) In all respects, only 90 minutes from NYC. Just to clarify, the DEC took 2 pics with me, my buddy, & the bear, "at the scene", with their camera. I'm still waiting for the pics. I know their their pretty busy right now, so I'll give them a little time to send them. Thanks for the responses. I was waiting for some reponses of could've, should've, would've. I'll try to get back out 1 more time.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:34 PM

Glad you came out of that ok, and what a good shot under stress.We only see bears in zoos Im jealous.Good luck on getting that picture Im sure it would be priceless.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:23 PM

Wow that must have been a rush. Have to give you a big thumbs up for contacting the DEC and being an honest hunter.

Few years ago i had a black bear run out the trees at me he was on the other side of the fence line of me and i was right beside the fence but he decided to stop and stare at me and he started to show his teeth so i had the scope right on his head and just as i was gonna pull the trigger he turned and took off. Good thing i didnt shot cause 15mins later i shot a cow elk that walked onto the cutline and i scared the herd it was apart of right to 3 of my buddys and they bagged 2 more cows and bull elk.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:29 PM

You know, thats a shame they won't let a man keep a bear he shot in self-defense. However, I can see where they are coming from. If that was the case, there would be alot of "bear charging" incidents.

Glad to hear that you made it out safely.

Quick Reply: Charged by black bear!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.