Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunter Orange

Old 11-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hunter Orange

How many of you take your orange off when you get in your deer stand?
Old 11-22-2006, 03:00 PM

Default RE: Hunter Orange

Not me. I keep it on so idiot hunter have a tougher time mistaking me for a deer while on stand.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:57 PM

i think your suposed to have it on all the time by law in most states.

i only take mine off so i can put a face mask on...then i put it right back on.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only take it off when i'm hunting bow and it is bow season onlyother wise i wear it during gun season
Old 11-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got used to wearing orange on my hunts to Oklahoma where it is required and have started wearing it in Texas for my safety. I do not take it off until I get home or to my truck.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:47 PM

I use a orange banner type thing that I wrap around the tree. Its about 12" wide and long enough to wrap around most trees. Then I go in full camo. It allows me to move in my stand but keep the orange still and maybe not as noticable by deer. I actually believe it makes it better seen by people. Its usually a little higher than my head. VA law requires the orange within arms reach of the hunter. Works great
Old 11-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

i keep it on at all times. but i think they should change the law here. you really only need to be wearing a hat, as long as someone can see orange 360 degrees around you. but my uncle was hunting last weekend. and he said he could see movement going through the brush. and then in one little hole, he could see a tiny bit of orange. it was some guy jus wearin a hat.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:54 PM

I would never think of taking off my blaze, there are too many nuts out there. You see it every year in the paper, someone gutting a deer and gets shot cause they took the orange off. It's a matter of safety. Even on private land, there are others around the property that have riffles....you just never know.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:07 PM

i never remove my coat or hat until I am back to my vehicle.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a story to tell. My family and I hunted mainly Utah and Wyoming where orange is required. Dec 2005 my dad, our friend Mark,and I went down to Texas, where it isn't. We were together literally all day that first day, no orange on but not worried. 15 mins before dark I shot a doe, and out stepped two fawns, which my dad subsequently finished off as well(we were on a doe hunt population control for a buddy with the perq of hogs and javelinas). He told me he was going toclean thethree deer and that I should go and try and get another before dark.I took one deer rifle, Mark the other, and my dad had our open sighted .22. First off, my dad that morning shot a coyote on the run at over 350 yards, having a 5 second window from first sighting it to stopping the car loading the gun and firing. He is a scary good shot.
Anyway, I walked down the sendero a ways in my black sweat shirt, hood up due to the chill about 200yds from the stand. I sat down and waited for dark. about 5 mins later I looked to my right, away from the truck, and heard something whistle past my ear. I whipped around to "see" what it was, when again something whistled past my ear, then something stung me in the leg! Istood up andstarted to yell that I was behind the stupid rabbits that my dad was plinkin' at. I watched my dad throwdown the .22 and start racingtowards me.When hewas 1/2 way there it dawnedon me that he wasn't shooting at the rabbits, but at me. Hemistook me for a javelina.
I was shot through theupper left thigh, right between the femoral artery and the femur, and raking the bottom of my right leg. Very lucky to not have serious damage.

Now, we were both stupid, but completely unaware as to the severe complications that would occur. As a rule, no matter what we are hunting, or what with, we wear orange somewhere and do our best to stay together. He hadn't seen me go down that direction and had thought I was behind him.

Wear orange, it is just worth it, plain and simple.

(getting off soap box)

Quick Reply: Hunter Orange

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.