Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I'm Back from Alberta

Old 12-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I'm Back from Alberta

Damn Doc, you sure did open up Pandoras box this time!Anyway, I feel bad about your hunt because I know how it feels to look forward to a hunt in Alberta for a whole year. It's differant than opening day in our respective states, it's moreintense. Just for the record, these replies are something else.[:@]
Anyway, I wanted to share this as a comparison. The guide I used this year is the same guide I used last year, the only real differance was where I stayed this year, which was a Travel Lodge! Last yearI stayed on a big ranch which wascool,but my guide couldn't secure the same set up this year and I didn't know that until the last minute. Not much I could do.
As it turns out I'm the only hunter for the week of the 12th, which was cool with me,and I stay at this Travel Lodge in the same room as my guide for the whole week. It wasdifferant. I must say the "food" wasless than one would be happy with! Continental (sp) breakfast, pack your own lunch, ham& cheese every dayand fast food each night, except for two.
Now, this would have made most huntersreal upset but I know my guide knows these deer and the properties that they are on. This is what these guys get payed for.He has some really sweet set ups on some of these ranches. I came to the Bow Zone in Alberta to hunt the worlds largest Whitetail bucks not to experiance finedining or stay in a lavish lodge! I'm not saying these things aren't nicethough. Iwent up there to put myself in a position to get a "chance" at a big buck.
As far as what my guide actually did for me was, justdrop me off in the morningata spot that he previously showed me orwould drawme detailed directions how to access the spot and where to locate my climbing stand (mobility)!
He would then either hunt, or whatever else he felt like doing that day since I was the only hunter he had to take care of and since I hunt dark to dark. He would pick me up at about the same time each night.
I saw about 13 deer that week but 4 were buck and all were within 20yrds. One was while it was still too dark to shoot [:@], one MONSTER 10ptthat came to my rattling but couldn't get the right angle because of brush and a nice wide P&Y 8pt that also came to my rattling but got nervous when he couldn't find the source of the activity. And last but certainly not least, is the nice 300lb 8pt withchocolate antlers that I shot in the heart. My guide said he's seen bigger racks but onlya fewwith a bigger neck and body than mine.
In closing, I just want to say that I had, by far, the best hunting trip of my lifewith far less than desireable conditions but made the most of
the situation. I delt with half mile walks in a foot of snow with my stand and delt with the cold all day and didn't see alot of deer but guess what, I can't wait till next Nov. to do it all again, exceptI'll be with another guide who's also one of the best in the Zone.
Yes, these hunts are around 4200.00 plus airfare and you do have to have a guide or hostif your not a resident of Canada. The beautiful thing is tags are a sure thing!Doc, again, sorry to hear of your poor hunt.[&o]
Old 12-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

Whew. My eyes hurt after reading that. It's like a bad novel that you just hope gets better and so you can't put it down.

One post was not addressed at all due to the inflammatory way it was written. It was however full of points which popped into my head as I was reading. (not very tactfully put for sure but some interesting questions.)

Quick post here, I just spent quite a long time reading all these post about "Doc" hunting in Canda. I want to ask something why the he!! would you pay 4500 dollars to hunt whitetail? Why the hell would you fly in a plane to go hunting for whitetail? Why the hell would you have to have an outfitter? Why the hell would you have to go to Candada? Sounds like you dont have any common sense. From what I understand in past post they say your supposed to be a great hunter, and in magazines. Its sad to know as previously discussed that the people we watch hunting on T.V. are people just like you. People like yourself, think that they must tag "that big buck" that 160 that 140 what have you, but why cant you tag meat in your freezer, what would you pay 4500 dollars for any hunt, as much money as you have buy yourself some land. Learn to hunt like a real man. Why do you need some guy to run deer to you or show you where to hunt, I thought thats what hunting was all about, choosing your place, getting set up, sighting in your gun for the first time in 10months, getting up early eating biscuits and gravy and waiting for that deer to walk out within shooting range. When did it become ethical for someone to pay over 5000 dollars after airfare and such to tag a deer. Sounds plain dumb to me,10 acres will tag you a buck, my advice is buy 10 20 100 acres, then plan to bio logic, put up a trail camera, put a blind or buy a tree stand scout it yourself. Instead of being a city slicker and having someone else do the work for you be a man, and hunt, not purchase. Even leasing land is only a 100-1000 dollars, and you hunt anything year round. I dont blame the outfitter, im sure hes in the same mind as i "what an idiot, traveling by plane giving me 4500 dollars to hunt deer, and i dont even know if theres any out there he thinks hes gonna get one just cause its out of the u.s." thats what ran through his mind adios.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:48 PM

Hehehe this is funny.

That's about all the input I'm worthy of giving, because I hunt by myself or with my uncles, my hunting camps are the back of a pickup or an old camper, my meals consist of hot dogs and cup of noodles, and going home without a trophy is something I do all the time. And I never have a bad time. I have not the slightest clue about all this guided hunt business.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:21 PM

sorry too hear about your misfortune. that stinks! u put alot of time and effort into the hunt and it sounds like u did not get your moneys worth.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

Damn Doc, you sure did open up Pandoras box this time!Anyway, I feel bad about your hunt because I know how it feels to look forward to a hunt in Alberta for a whole year. It's differant than opening day in our respective states, it's moreintense. Just for the record, these replies are something else.[:@]
In closing, I just want to say that I had, by far, the best hunting trip of my lifewith far less than desireable conditions but made the most of
the situation. I delt with half mile walks in a foot of snow with my stand and delt with the cold all day and didn't see alot of deer but guess what, I can't wait till next Nov. to do it all again, exceptI'll be with another guide who's also one of the best in the Zone.
Yes, these hunts are around 4200.00 plus airfare and you do have to have a guide or hostif your not a resident of Canada. The beautiful thing is tags are a sure thing!Doc, again, sorry to hear of your poor hunt.[&o]
Early CONGRATS on your big 8 point would love to see pics of him ...and sounds like you really enjoyed yourself on your trip this year and I admire you for going on the bow hunt I know that aint easy ...however you hit on the key topic of this thread ...it appears your guide and outfitter did everything he could you help put you on some deer ... thats all you can ask for from a guide or outfitter ...then its just up to you and it sounds like to "got her done" ...YOU DA MAN!

dd

Old 12-06-2006, 05:42 AM

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

ORIGINAL: Serioushunter1

Man DD, You sure know how to keep a thread running! LOL[8D]

Awwwwwww now SH I didn't dig this thread back up ole buddy ....

[/align]

[/align]dd

[/align]

I know you didn't, but the people here are justin awe of the good doctor!
Old 12-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

I wrote a novel and my computer crashes...here's my take:"
1. You made a huge mistake when you didn't plan properly for a whole year (key).
2. Guide was a goof by the sounds of it by giving you a p.o.s.
3. You should have sighted in prior to heading out for your peace of mind and to make a ethical shot. Could have been a new world record you were going to shoot at. Do you really care what you are using? I do!!
4. Food & lodging fair at best...no harm done.
5. Most hunting up here requires you sitting all day in a blind (no heater usually) boring yes, but the pay off can be huge. Deal with it or go for a walk.
6. If the deer aren't moving and you push them, you might push them right off the land you are hunting. Not justifying the guides motives but if he ain't willing to work for you, I'd be giving him ..it!! It's up to you to speak up as well. Did you say anything to him? Just curious as nothing has been mentioned about you asking, reccomending him get off his lasy but and do something.
7. Weather up here is usually too hot or cold and too much snow or not enough. You just picked a bad week. Trust me, the last week was -30 and not fun at all. Actually you did ok, just not the best scenario but tough to do when you book a year in advance. Bad luck!!
8. Saw few deer, really can't complain. Sometimes I see 0 deer after sitting for a few days. Welcom to Alberta hunting, frustrating and great all at the same time.
9. DD you have a problem...it's addiction to big Alberta Whitetails. Some may call you stupid for spending $$ and others may sympathize. I know it well, I'm just lucky enough to live here. But it still gets me every year. I get mad but somehow I want to put myself through it all over again next season. Tough when you bring a bud and it doesn't work as planned.

Lastly, you are in a bad spot. You have killed a nice deer. Subconsciously, you want (and can get) another. Unfortunately it's not easy and may take a lifetime to achieve. Even with an outfitter! It's like going to Vegas and hitting a jackpot the first time...not hard but chances of doing it again are slim. Take your memories of past hunts, enjoy. Take the last ones and learn from them. Look for a new guide, research & get lots of references!!! Don't give up DD...but don't plan on shooting another 160+. Just dream of it, they do come true.

No disrespect to anyone on this post.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JD IN ALBERTA

I wrote a novel and my computer crashes...here's my take:"
1. You made a huge mistake when you didn't plan properly for a whole year (key).
2. Guide was a goof by the sounds of it by giving you a p.o.s.
3. You should have sighted in prior to heading out for your peace of mind and to make a ethical shot. Could have been a new world record you were going to shoot at. Do you really care what you are using? I do!!
4. Food & lodging fair at best...no harm done.
5. Most hunting up here requires you sitting all day in a blind (no heater usually) boring yes, but the pay off can be huge. Deal with it or go for a walk.
6. If the deer aren't moving and you push them, you might push them right off the land you are hunting. Not justifying the guides motives but if he ain't willing to work for you, I'd be giving him ..it!! It's up to you to speak up as well. Did you say anything to him? Just curious as nothing has been mentioned about you asking, reccomending him get off his lasy but and do something.
7. Weather up here is usually too hot or cold and too much snow or not enough. You just picked a bad week. Trust me, the last week was -30 and not fun at all. Actually you did ok, just not the best scenario but tough to do when you book a year in advance. Bad luck!!
8. Saw few deer, really can't complain. Sometimes I see 0 deer after sitting for a few days. Welcom to Alberta hunting, frustrating and great all at the same time.
9. DD you have a problem...it's addiction to big Alberta Whitetails. Some may call you stupid for spending $$ and others may sympathize. I know it well, I'm just lucky enough to live here. But it still gets me every year. I get mad but somehow I want to put myself through it all over again next season. Tough when you bring a bud and it doesn't work as planned.

Lastly, you are in a bad spot. You have killed a nice deer. Subconsciously, you want (and can get) another. Unfortunately it's not easy and may take a lifetime to achieve. Even with an outfitter! It's like going to Vegas and hitting a jackpot the first time...not hard but chances of doing it again are slim. Take your memories of past hunts, enjoy. Take the last ones and learn from them. Look for a new guide, research & get lots of references!!! Don't give up DD...but don't plan on shooting another 160+. Just dream of it, they do come true.

No disrespect to anyone on this post.
JD points well taken and I respect your view however I am not sure you read all the post that I made so out of respect I will try to address most of your points.

1. We did plan properly this was our 5th time to hunt Canada. I did make a mistake with loosing my rifle case key however Im sure Im not the ONLY one that has happend to.
2. The guide is not what I would call a "goof" however he is a lazy guide and outfitter ...in the past he has not HAD to resort to a plan B and it was obvious to us after the 3rd day he had no paln B
3. As I explained in the post I would have LOVED to have been able to sight my borrowed rife in but when we arrived it was late in the afternoon on Sunday and by the time we arrived where we would be staying it was way to late to try and make it to his property to shoot ..as you well know it gets dark there about 5.15.. thus why I ended up shooting a decoy in the middle of the day to make sure it was zero'ed ..was the best I could do under the circumstances..it was either that or hike back out a mile during the middle of the day and shoot it ..and hike back in ...
4. Food and lodging wasABOVE average
5. We suggested several times that he get out and scout some for us while we were in the stand hunting ..his excuse was that the snow was to deep and his truck was subject to get stuck which would result in someone having to walk about 3 miles to get a farmer to come pull us out ...he scouted from a warm truck...plus its hard to push deer off your land when it appears there are no deer there ..we were in area 508 close to Lake George ..
6.Ive set the box many a many hours so you do not have to convince me of that ...however I knew something was not right after the 3 rd day of seeing almost nothing and no fresh tracks to speak of when hiking in and out to my stand.
7. Weather was not that bad ..there was snow obviously but the temps where only in the 10's ...
8. You and I both know that when the rut is in full swing we are going to see some deer if there are any deer there ..and I do not think snow will keep a buck from moving when he has poon tang on his mind !
9. As for an addiction ..yes I admit that ..I love hunting Canada ..the people I have met are very friendly ...beautiful country ...and a GREAT all around experience most the time.
10. As for the hunting a 160 or bigger ... I was not going to shoot anything that I would not have mounted ...a big 150 class 8 pt maybe ...I have a 185 so why shoot anything smaller unless he is exceptional ..why not let him grow?

dd
Old 12-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

Fair enough...points well taken. My terminology of a lazy oufitter not willing to do anything is a "goof", I just know too many guy's like that. One thing you mentioned was he had 4 stands set up for you guy's, did you see nothing at any of the sites or you just stayed in the one spot? I'll tell ya though, sometimes the weather and deep snow does keep the whitetails in the bush since it's easy to get around and they can usually forage for food thre, so I disagree with you on that front. Some times (even during the rut) you may not see deer in an area. Either way, not much you can do about it now. I don't think a lawsuit will do ya much good, just leave a bitter taste in your mouth. Are you through with hunting our province? Like I said I'm sure if you do some good research you can find someone willing to work hard for you and show you a good time up here. Good luck to ya!!
Old 12-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JD IN ALBERTA

Fair enough...points well taken. My terminology of a lazy oufitter not willing to do anything is a "goof", I just know too many guy's like that. One thing you mentioned was he had 4 stands set up for you guy's, did you see nothing at any of the sites or you just stayed in the one spot? I'll tell ya though, sometimes the weather and deep snow does keep the whitetails in the bush since it's easy to get around and they can usually forage for food thre, so I disagree with you on that front. Some times (even during the rut) you may not see deer in an area. Either way, not much you can do about it now. I don't think a lawsuit will do ya much good, just leave a bitter taste in your mouth. Are you through with hunting our province? Like I said I'm sure if you do some good research you can find someone willing to work hard for you and show you a good time up here. Good luck to ya!!
JD I will bow to your knowledge of hunting in your area however I will say this ... when coming home on the plane and while in Edmonton I spoke with a number of hunters who saw a lot of rutting ..in the same weather as we were in ... not all but most saw movement ...as for a lawsuit my friend and myself feel that our outfitter did not full fill his obligation as a guide or an outfitter thus breaching our contract. We feel we gave him an oppurtunity to do the right thing ..he called us yesterday with a insulting offer so we plan to file a complaint with APOST even though we fill its doubtfull we will get any satisfaction from them. I am in a unique situation in that my buddy is a contract attorney in Durham NC, he feels that Don was remiss in his obligation to us as clients ..so I suppose we will just see where it goes from here. I have no bitter taste for Alberta..its a beautiful area of the world ...very nice people in general..and would love to hunt there again and would never judge other outfitters based on this hunt ... but I honestly think if I ever come back it will be to Saskatchawan ..

dd

Quick Reply: I'm Back from Alberta

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.