Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New hunter Needs Help!

Old 11-20-2006, 02:38 PM

Default New hunter Needs Help!

This is my first hunting season and so far I feel a bit lost. Been out twice all day both days and have seen a total of 2 squirrels and a mouse. I've got a climber, I've airing my equipment for the past 2 weeks outside, use no fragrance soap, get out into the woods 2hrs before daylight and stay there till dusk. What the heck am I doing wrong?

I hunted one day on public land in 8G and one in 8N (NY). I scouted this land ahead of time and found plenty of sign-droppings tracks on well used trails, ect.

I'm not new to the woods-I know how to track (but no expert by any means) and have decent woodsman skills. What am I missing?
Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 11-20-2006, 03:06 PM

Default RE: New hunter Needs Help!

the deer dont always come out even when you know where they are. its been just like that for me during the bow season in NY this year. doesnt sound like you are doing anything wrong. itll pay off
Old 11-20-2006, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Do calls help at all during gun season or are the deer running too much from hunters to care about bleats or grunts?
Old 11-20-2006, 04:11 PM

I'd think it would depend on how many other hunters are in the area... like maybe if you hunt weekends there will be lots of guys using the same grunt or bleat, but on a Monday or Tuesday there would be fewer hunters afield.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:56 PM

I know you are doing a good job with scent control but are you using the wind to your advantage? Hunt with the wind in a favorable direction for your stand site. You may be already doing this but I just thought I would bring it up. Its been slow with the warm weather so hang in there!
Old 11-20-2006, 05:12 PM

I have been very careful to keep the wind in my face as my wind burnt face can attest to. It's reassuring to know that it's not just my mistakes making it hard but the weather is playing a part. With the warm weather, does this mean that later in the season as it turns colder it'll get better or will it get even less excting with the rut shutting down?

What are good deer calls? I was looking at the Knight&Hale but anyone have a favorite.

Thanks to all for the input so far.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Try the Primo's "Can" calls, I have "the lil can" young doe in estrous call. I have yet to get a buck to come in to it but have called a few does in with it. I have heard pretty good stories about these calls before.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:49 AM

bump for any more advice.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:11 AM

JUST HANG IN THERE!

It took me many years to get a good buck. Thought about quitting several times. Don't do it! Keep your head up, and keep "chugging along". Check out the "buckless no more" thread. It explains a little more.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

the key i found is to be as still as you can then be even stiller yet move eyes first then the rest of your head and paientience is a vertue the deer will come to those who wait and wait and wait quietly and motionless
good luck to ya

Quick Reply: New hunter Needs Help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.