Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

300 win mag

Old 11-17-2006, 06:33 PM

Default RE: 300 win mag

Too much gun, but it will kill anything on legs so if it's all you have go for it. There are a lot more guns that are more enjoyable to shoot and do enough damage.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:37 PM

I have shot many deer under 100 yards with a .300 Win Mag, and one thing is for sure, they don't go anywhere.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very few big game calibers will allow you to shoot though "thick cover", unless you can find a clear opening. I would not recommend you shoot, unless you have clear view.

If you don't have a clear view, you may not be shooting at a deer or the right sex. Never shoot unless you have both and you can see what's behind the deer you're shooting at. There can be 2nd and 3rd deer behind you don't see and wound, if you do.

When I was 15 I hunted alone way back in the woods with my brothers .44 Ruger carbine. At short range this is powerful and you'd think a caliber that could "punch through" brush. I was stopped on a brushed in woods road watch a weasel go in and out of the snow for mice near my feet, when all of a sudden I heard very big snorts of a big buck about 30 yards in front of me. He'd moved crossing in front and he was trying to locate me picking up some scent, I imagine.

I saw his head and "imagined" where his shoulder and rib cage were among a thicket of aspen not much bigger than your thumb around. I proceded to empty the mag on that imagined chest. I waited to hear him crash down to the ground.

Low and behold he suddening took off running full tilt up the ridge and over out of sight. I went and look and followed his tracks without a trace of blood in the snow for 70 yards. I walked back to the thicket he was standing in when I shot. There were 5 "dead" aspen sappling broken off at just what would have been his chest high. Those .44 magnum slugs even at close range didn't stand a chance of making it through the even small trees to deliver any kind of blow to that deer.

It's a lesson I'll never forget. No matter the rifle caliber or shotgun with slugs, I won't shoot at a deer or Elk without a clear unobstructed shot.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mohunter09

Obviously you dont know much about deer, my buddy shoots a 22-250 it knocks down big deer on the spot, he!! a 22 would kill a deer. My .270 is plently power I shot my spike at 300 yards,and he didnt go 20 feet.
WOWsuch wisdom. Personally I think anyone who uses a .22 cal for deer doesn't really have the right to sayothers don'tknow much about deer hunting. A well placed rock can kill deer, the point isn't what may but whathumanely harvest deer on a repeat basis.I am sure where the size of deer isn't much more than a dog one might be able to convince them self a well placed/proper bullet from a .22 cal would be doable but inmy area I think .25cal with 100 gr bullet should be the min. used. 300lbs deer are common and deserve a little more consideration then awe its just a jumper. Hey what doI knowknock yourself out witha .22cal.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

Very few big game calibers will allow you to shoot though "thick cover", unless you can find a clear opening. I would not recommend you shoot, unless you have clear view.

If you don't have a clear view, you may not be shooting at a deer or the right sex. Never shoot unless you have both and you can see what's behind the deer you're shooting at. There can be 2nd and 3rd deer behind you don't see and wound, if you do.

When I was 15 I hunted alone way back in the woods with my brothers .44 Ruger carbine. At short range this is powerful and you'd think a caliber that could "punch through" brush. I was stopped on a brushed in woods road watch a weasel go in and out of the snow for mice near my feet, when all of a sudden I heard very big snorts of a big buck about 30 yards in front of me. He'd moved crossing in front and he was trying to locate me picking up some scent, I imagine.

I saw his head and "imagined" where his shoulder and rib cage were among a thicket of aspen not much bigger than your thumb around. I proceded to empty the mag on that imagined chest. I waited to hear him crash down to the ground.

Low and behold he suddening took off running full tilt up the ridge and over out of sight. I went and look and followed his tracks without a trace of blood in the snow for 70 yards. I walked back to the thicket he was standing in when I shot. There were 5 "dead" aspen sappling broken off at just what would have been his chest high. Those .44 magnum slugs even at close range didn't stand a chance of making it through the even small trees to deliver any kind of blow to that deer.

It's a lesson I'll never forget. No matter the rifle caliber or shotgun with slugs, I won't shoot at a deer or Elk without a clear unobstructed shot.
Perhaps I should re read the original post. Becuse if you are not shooting through a clear opening I would not recommend a bazooka. I like the .300 win mag but I would never shoot through any type of brush in order to attempt to hit where I "think" the vitals may be. MinnFinn gave you some sound advice I would use it.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

ORIGINAL: mohunter09

Obviously you dont know much about deer, my buddy shoots a 22-250 it knocks down big deer on the spot, he!! a 22 would kill a deer. My .270 is plently power I shot my spike at 300 yards,and he didnt go 20 feet.
WOWsuch wisdom. Personally I think anyone who uses a .22 cal for deer doesn't really have the right to sayothers don'tknow much about deer hunting. A well placed rock can kill deer, the point isn't what may but whathumanely harvest deer on a repeat basis.I am sure where the size of deer isn't much more than a dog one might be able to convince them self a well placed/proper bullet from a .22 cal would be doable but inmy area I think .25cal with 100 gr bullet should be the min. used. 300lbs deer are common and deserve a little more consideration then awe its just a jumper. Hey what doI knowknock yourself out witha .22cal.

hehehehehe.
I kill deer and hogs on a regular basis with a little 'ol .22hornet.
Some people actually know how to hunt.
This was last years buck, dropped him in his tracks with my hornet.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:33 PM

I use a deerslayer 16 gauge with a scope.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in similar conditions and have a variety of calibers in my safe to choose from. My choice for the conditions you describe is my Marlin 336 30-30 topped with a Leupold VariX II 3-9x40 loaded with Hornady LeverEvolutions. I have killed a buck and two does this year already with this set up.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:05 PM

There is no such thing as a brush busting gun or caliber.
If you are shooting through heavy brush and branches you are asking for problems.

I don't care if you are shooting a 45-70 or a 300 winmag, if you are shooting where you "think" the deer is, at best you are immature and at worst you are dangerous.

You should only take clear, ethical shots. To do less is not only unacceptable, it is dangerous.

Hank
Old 11-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

hehehehehe.
I kill deer and hogs on a regular basis with a little 'ol .22hornet.
Some people actually know how to hunt.
This was last years buck, dropped him in his tracks with my hornet
WOW that bruiser is the size of our yearlings...[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.