Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tough as leather.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:13 AM

Default RE: Tough as leather.

First I just want to say a big thank you for all of your advice. You have all given me some great ideas to try next time.

A couple of questions if I may:

1) What is the best way to tenderize?? Do you use the hammer or just use one of those sprinkle on (herb type) of tenderizers?

2)Those of you who talk about frying them in butter and salt and pepper, how do you get them to keep their juices in? Is there a certain technique?

3)Is there any danger to eating undercooked wild game?

Thank you all again.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:14 AM

Pastor Steve -PM being sent.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:27 AM

As for the danger of eating undercooked wild meat... I'd feel safer eating rare venison than rare beef.
Some deer are just tough, I once killed a 7 yr old buck that was so tough you couldn't even cut the gravy
Old 11-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Well I live and hunt Mchenry County IL and have three does so far 06'.
Ihave personally cut/cooked/and prepared meat from all three deer.
Over the last three years i have found moisture to be the key in my "straight cuts".So my field prefrence is to bring out my "FORMAN Grill", plug it into the old dodge pickup and cook them right there.Moisture being the key.Good Luck
Old 11-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Over cooked most likely. Also could have been cut wrong with the grain vs against...this makes a huge difference on any steak or roast. I have had only a few tough as leather deer even after the proper care was given to prepare it.

Try a simple merinade of olive oil, soya sauce, chopped garlic gloves and montreal steak spice (or sub in whatever steak spice you like). Let it sit in a low baking dish for upto an hour at room temp, flipping it over at 1/2 way point to ensure both sides are merinated. Fire up the bbq on high, get it HOT then dump the temperature down to med when you place meat on the grill. Sear both sides maybe 90 sec then finish off by cooking for an additional 3-5 minutes a side. Remove from grill and wrap plate in foil to finish off while you get everything ready at the table. The lengths I have given are based on min 1" cut steak so if thinner reduce the cook times. I like my steaks into chop portions for grilling and 1- 1 1/2" thick, the reason for the smaller steaks itmore evencook and if you do merinate the meat it takes less time and more flavour into the cuts. I still package my steaks in normal portions just chop them when preparing the meal. All my steaks are cooked med rare, for vension (which we eat the most of) my preference is rare though the wife likes a little less red so we often end up on the med-rare side of things.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:30 AM

Well, once again let me say thank you to everyone who has made these fantastic suggestions.

I'm hoping for some big differences on my deer. My dad's we butchered the next day. Mine we let hang for about a week and just butchered him this weekend and there seemed to be some pretty big differences.The meat felt much more tender in it's raw state that my dads did and there seemed to be a lot more moisture in the meat.

So hopefully with the hanging of the meat and all of your suggestions, we will really enjoy our meat a lot more.

Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Spike

I am getting hungry reading this. I like to slow cook tough meat using a Lodge brand cast iron dutch oven. Best roasts I have ever had, and my chili can not be beat.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try this...Get out your crock pot...Cut up veggies (I use potatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms and 1/2 a green pepper), place these in the bottom of the crock pot...put in your deer meat about a 1-2 pound roast...Lay 2-3 strips of bacon on top, squeeze a lemon over, salt and pepper and then cover with your favorite BBQ sauce, either homemade (I'm from NC and prefer homemade) or your favorite bottle of store bought...cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours....If you don't think this is good...You can leave....Not that there's good!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 12:19 PM

Damnit damnit damnit I need to shoot a deer I'm getting hungry!
Old 11-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Spike

You could try soaking your steaks in butter milk for 3-4 hours be for you cook it. That will let the acids in the milk start to break down the meat fibers to help tenderize the meat. After that rinse milk off meat use in your recipe or grill as normal. I've done this with pork and had it come out almost fork tender.

Quick Reply: Tough as leather.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.