Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

weird stuff seen?

Old 11-16-2006, 03:52 PM

Default weird stuff seen?

[align=left]whats is the weirdest or creepest thing you have ever seen or heard about while deer hunting, or just hunting by itself?

I have always been a fan of stories about things that happend while hutning...you know, like the ones your uncle or grand dad used would tell you at a campfire.
[/align][align=left] [/align]
Old 11-16-2006, 03:58 PM

Default RE: weird stuff seen?

one time i was sittin and this weird lil thing, still have no clue what it was was clambering underneath somethin then came out , and it seemed a cross between a beaver, muskrat, prairie dog, and a squirrel.

jus a funny story, I was sittin in the same spot as mentioned above, and it was around 7-8 , sun shinining down on me, it was cold, and underneath all my clothes i was just warm and was out like a light real quick. , low and behold after i fall asleep 5-7 does start "acting out a scene from bambi" as my dad described it, he was up the hilll about 80 yards or so and waited till one was a safe disantce away from me to shoot, he missed but thats one hell of a way to wake up. and then hes screaming "Brian SHOOOT THE DEER". and I didnt get a shot off cuz I couldnt get mybolt completely shut with my big gloves. all in all it was a great day anda great story.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

The area I hunt here in SC is an old rice plantation, and I am talking like early 1700s old. So some bad slave stuff used to happen there.

There used to be a house right at the edge of the dyke before it goes up onto the hill, where the main plantation house used to be (burned to nothing in the Civil War). But, there is an old well, that still works, down by this place I have a stand. I have acctually shot 5 deer out of already this year.

Now this stand is a 20' ladder, and it is leaned up againest an old cypress tree, just about dead even between the two old dykes (no water anymore, except in spots when it rains, just big old growth cypress and gum). The stand, for whatever reason, shakes, like someone was climbing the ladder, even when there is absolutely NO wind, and you are sitting dead still. I am not talking about a shimmy, I am talking about a knock you out of the tree shake.

I call the stand the "Haunted House" stand. Doesn't really bother me, I think it could be the top of the tree shaking, lots of woodpeckers hang around it, who knows. At any rate, I love to mess with people I bring as guests and let them sit there. I always make up some stupid story about slave abuse, and some junk like that. They always end up at the car 30 min before dark, white as a sheet! Never fails!
Old 11-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another post bout a guy caught having sex with a dead deer.....wild huh?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:47 PM

Maybe it's not weird, but it's definately odd... I was in my tree stand last November around 4:30 p.m. when a fox came running up, looked up the tree at me, scratched around, and then proceeded to take a dump at the base of the trunk. No problem, got a nice 120-125 lb doe later on.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:21 PM

One time I was in East Texas camping with the Cub Scouts. While sleeping, I woke up to something going through my food. Thinking raccoon I opened the tent and shined a flashlight out. All I saw was some little hairy creature with big red eyescurl up in a ball and roll away making some kind of screaming sound.

It look like some kind of video game or something.

This year me and my brother were cutting firewood in Montana. Something started smashing trees all the way around us. Later, when we calmed down there was a sound like two logs hitting each other close by. Needless to say we left in a hurry and did not come back until we were armed.

All we found was stuff torn up around where we were working. The forest floor was too thick to reveal any tracks. MV out!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

One time I was hunting in the back country in Idaho unit 28 to be exact. anyways I was hunting on this ridge and had a weird feeling of something watching me (you all have had this feeling im sure) anyway its kinda creepy especially when you know none else is around for miles anyway i kept sensing something, then the wind shifted and kept smelling something Like fish and there was nothing up there that should smell like that. pretty soon came across this creekbed kinda sandy edges so i circled around and came back to that same place and there where cougar tracks in the sand not 15 minutes after i ha crossed! HE was stalking me! so i guess he figured i was too big or he found and easier meal im sure glad he didnt decide he wanted a full course meal.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a ton more strange stories i will post later
Old 11-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

A few years back during bow, I was enjoying a good season as far as deer activity.

Anyhow, about 45 minutes before day's end, I saw 5-7 deer, some or all were does, as they were a bit mixed in with the foilage. The chasing phase was just starting, so I was excited. An hour before,a few bucks had made a considerable amount of noise chasing around a single doe.

Now, these 5-7 deer disappeared into the foilage, and only a handful of minutes later I hear the distinct sound of a big bodied animal making their way towards me from that direction. If you've hunted a bit, you know that sound. I was convinced it was a decent buck making his way through that other group of deer.

It kept coming, and was taking a single row of trees that gave it full cover from me until about 15 yards from my stand. Imagine my thoughts when that moment came, and I laid eyes upon the biggest, most ticked off horse you ever saw.

Somehow, the neighbor's horse got loose and wandered onto our property. He was clearly scared/mad at getting out, so I made sure to stay up in the stand. Needless to say, the deer didn't stick around either.

I was already at draw since this animal was going to come out in the open for the first time 15 yards away...boy did that jolt me.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

On 2 different occasions (1 gun, 1 bow) I have heard a noise coming and got ready, let me tell you face to face with a fisher can be scary, they are evil looking omnivours.
I've had a bunch of chickadees scatter from around me followed by a hawk so close I could have grabbed a wing.

I found this while turkey hunting, why would a beaver do this, twice the pleasure? :

Quick Reply: weird stuff seen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.