HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   ammo question-NY Hunter needs help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/165433-ammo-question-ny-hunter-needs-help.html)

The_Tomcat 11-16-2006 08:15 AM

ammo question-NY Hunter needs help

I have a Remington 870 with a rifled choke. Can I shoot a rifled slug out of it or can I only shoot Sabot Slugs....I need to sight in my gun and don't want the expense of shooting sabots into a paper target.

Thanks in advance for your help.

kabic 11-16-2006 08:25 AM

RE: ammo question-NY Hunter needs help

I was taught you should always use the same ammo to sight in with as you hunt with. Different ammo may shoot to different point because of different powders used and bullet design.

The_Tomcat 11-16-2006 08:32 AM

I'd like touse the rifled slugs only...can I do that?

Western MA Hunter 11-16-2006 08:35 AM

You can just use a rifled slug w/ a rifled choke...butnot with a fully rifled barrell.
I shoot Winchester Rifled slugs out of my 1187 w/ the rifled choke...
I shoot Winchester Partition Gold Sabots out of my 1100 w/ fully rilfed barrell.

Buck Huntin Girl 11-16-2006 08:37 AM

you need to shoot rifled slugs through your gun. Saboted slugs are designed to shoot out of a fully rifled barrel. Try 3 or 4 different brands some will shoot better than others good luck.Make sure you use the same slugs you practice with to hunt with or there is no telling where they will go.

Pygmy 11-16-2006 08:41 AM

Kabic is right...You need to sight in with the SAME ammo you plan to hunt with..This is ESPECIALLY true now that there are so many different loads available for slug guns nowadays...One slug may not group within a row of a**holes of another..

It used to be a lot simpler when the only choice in slugs was Foster slugs in Remington, Federal or Winchester or European loaded Brenekke slugs..Even THEN a gun might shoot one brand much better or worse than another...Now, with fosters, sabots, hybrids, etc. etc. it would be irresponsible to sight in with one slug and assume that another type or brand will group in the same place..

It's OK to shoot fosters through a rifled bore, and many rifled barrelsgroup them quite well...You just might have to clean the lead out your barrel every so often..Over the years, hundreds of thousands of deer have been killed graveyard dead with foster type slugs..

If you feel you don't want to spend the $$ on sabots, sight in with the fosters and if your gun groups them well, hunt with them..If accuracy begins to deteriorate, clean your barrel..

Troutman10 11-16-2006 08:45 AM

Good advice guys.

Pygmy,
Been fishing lately? Gotten a deer yet? Is the rut goin on down there? Just curious. Talk to ya later.

Pygmy 11-16-2006 08:56 AM

Troutman...As a matter of fact, I fished Seneca yesterday for smallmouths...Did very well on UL spin gear with my hand tied hair jigs..

Caught a bunch of nice smallies up to 3 lb and two LUNGO perch...

The deer are rutting ..Saw a beauty of a buck two days ago ambling drunkenly through a hayfield at mid day, oblivious to everything except LOVE...:D....

The_Tomcat 11-16-2006 09:58 AM

Thanks guys. I'll use the rifled slugs then. I appreciate your help.

Anytime I've needed hunting advice from turkey to deer I've come here and have ALWAYS gotten great advice.

A sincere thank you to all of you.

MinnFinn 11-17-2006 07:19 PM

Hats off to Tomcat. I admire a person that honestly says "I'm not sure about this, can you give me advice." It's better to ask and take what seems to be the best advice, than to remain quiet and miss an opportunity.