Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

East Texas Rut

Old 11-19-2002, 08:59 AM

Default East Texas Rut

I have been seeing several deer but haven't notice any rutting activity yet. Has anyone seen any bucks looking for does? It should be in full swing by now according to what I have read.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:11 AM

Default RE: East Texas Rut

i was in ne texas in mount vernon and the rut there appeared to be over.the bucks were not chasing the doe at all. i was in mineral wells this past weekend and they were still rutting.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in Nacogdoches Co. and unfortunatly the peak of the rut is over. There are still does coming in estrus and there will still be bucks chasing and breading them, but the bulk of the rut is over. I saw alot of pre-rut activity during mid to late October. Bucks were activly chasing does around in the first of November and I believe the main rut is mostly over in my area now. I didn't see alot of rutting activity during the heat of it but an adjoining land owner saw a good deal of it, including a doe actually getting bread.

Sure hope this helps, what part of East Tx are you hunting in?

--------------------------------------------
Hunting the Piney Woods of Deep East Texas.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:59 AM

I hunt in Center and Shelbyville in Shelby County. I have hunted every weekend starting in bow season. I have seen deer almost every time out but have not seen any bucks chasing does. I have seen several smaller bucks but none of them seemed to be looking for does. I have seen some scapes but just recently.