Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 TIP: Don't move much while on-stand. >

TIP: Don't move much while on-stand.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

TIP: Don't move much while on-stand.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: TIP: Don't move much while on-stand.

So you mean I was right whenI told someone that dancing in a straw blind with an I-Pod was a bad idea??? ( true story )
Old 11-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

I'll add somethin that i've come to live by: deer can approach from any direction, at any time, no matter what, so be ready at all times. that kind of plays into the "dont fall asleep on the stand" posts. Dont only look where you think the deer will come from, look everywhere all the time. we all know by now deer are strange creatures and will do anything and everything to outsmart us. Already this year ive been sitting in my stand going over in my head where i had had deer come in this season and noted i hadnt had any deer come from 1 direction, off to my left, and sure enough about a half hour later 3 deer came through and were at about 15 yards before i knew they were there. I did hear footsteps and for some reason didnt get ready cuz i had a major brain fart, and it probably cost me the deer, but it was a good learning experience. good luck everyone, i will be leaving tomorrow night for the WI rifle season, starts saturday. I can imagine it now... our cabin full of 7 or 8 guys on friday bouncin off the walls like hummingbirds in a shoebox. stay safe
Old 11-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some very good points here.

I try to keep in mind how I react after I see the deer. Everything is in slow motion trying to get into position for the shot. Don't want to move too fast - can't let that deer know I'm here.

That mentality keeps me from making those quick/jerky moves that can picked up by the deer well before I know thery're in my area.

Some time I think we give the deer too much credit, but making that deer aware of exactly where you are by too much movement,is not one of those times.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

My stand is 16 feet high. Nothing surrounding me. I take pride that deer do not bust me. Even though I am in the open I slowly lean on the tree to help me stay motionless. Deer are color blind. My orange pants seem flourescent but the deer never look my way. Nothing covering my face.
I have seen many deer coming from all directions.

Stay still and move your head and body like an owl. Keep your foot movement to a minimum. And I rarely sit, mostly standing.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Read this regarding deer vision: http://www.wildlifetimes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93