HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Bullet selection (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/165237-bullet-selection.html)

B Ott 11-15-2006 08:59 AM

Bullet selection

Hi everyone-

I'm looking for some advice on bullets for a deer hunt this upcoming weekend.This will be my first hunt,so I'm quite excited.

I'm shooting a .25-06, and of the rounds I've tried (only three are readily available), the 100g Rem Core-loktsPSP and the 115g Win ballistic silvertip shoot the best out of my gun, with the Rems potentially shooting slightly better, but probably not enough to make a difference.The shots should be from 50-200yds, and these are just little SC deer.

What are the differences between these two bullets? Is one better suitedfor certain applications than the other? With the .25-06 and deer, what bullet size would be ideal?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

SwampCollie 11-15-2006 10:06 AM

RE: Bullet selection

With a 25-06, its really all on you. Just like with any of the 6mms, other 6.5mms or anything smaller. Bullet placement is really more important than bullet selection.

Those 100 gr Core-Lokts is the way I would go. At higher velocities, like those produced by a 25-06, Ballistic Tips (which include those Winchesters you meantioned) tend to "crater" or blow up, on impact. They are great long range bullets, but hey, I live in SC too, and 200 yards with the humidity and thickness of vegetation down here is a LOOOONNNNGGGG way. There are places, like fields and gas lines where you can find some longer shots, but inside of 200, I would stick with those Core-Lokts, just because they will hold up better at higher speeds than those BTs. A bullet that doesn't get to the vitals is "worse than worthless".

CervidSlayer 11-15-2006 10:21 AM

Yea, I would have to agree with SwampCollie. The core-lokt are your ticket. I used to live in Seneca(hole in the wall) SC, and there are some big bucks up there...dont be fooled. Never hunted in SC, but Almost hit a huge buck closer to Anderson, so they're out there. I live in GA, and we can only use soft nosed bullets to deer hunt. Your 25-06 is truckin so fast, I would just worry about placement, and let ballistics take over from there.

B Ott 11-15-2006 04:24 PM

Thanks for replies-I was thinking the Core-lokts were the way to go, but I just wanted to get another opinion.

I'm definitely excited to see some SC deer-I live in AL now, and the deer I see around here aren't quite as large as those I see back at home in the midwest...:)

CamoCop 11-16-2006 04:24 AM

i'd go with Ballistic Tips. i have shot them all and come to the conclusion that Ballistic Tips are my favorite. my rifle shoots a 180 gr. bullet at approximately 3200-3400 feet per second. when it strikes meat, it goes in small and comes out large!