HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Va Shotgun opener (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/165211-va-shotgun-opener.html)

Slo-Pitch 11-15-2006 06:28 AM

Va Shotgun opener

Well Sat. is Eastern Virginia's shotgun opener. I have a5 year streak of killing a deer on the opening day. That will end this year becauseI cant hunt the opening day.:(.... The good news is, The reason I cant hunt opening day is because I am fishing in a Rockfish Tournament on the Chesapeake Bay...... Oh well such is the life of an outdoorsman I guess.... Good Luck All VA. hunters....

VaSavage270 11-15-2006 07:03 AM

RE: Va Shotgun opener

Yes it's the opening of the general firearm season and the woods will be packed!! Good Luck Fishing just one extra buck walking around lol:D

rrviper40 11-15-2006 08:27 PM

Good luck in the tourney! Post back and let us know how the rockfish are running. I have a place on Gwynn's island but haven't been striper fishing once this season because I've been in the woods every day... and thats not going to change this saturday either!

Slo-Pitch 11-16-2006 06:45 AM

Yeah I will get some pics and post them. We went fishing last Sunday and boated 2 38 inchers and 2 36's and throught several others back in the 30-34 range. We were fishing about a mile out in the bayabout halfway between the mouth of the Potomac and the mouth of the Rappahannock.

I have been in the woods pretty much everyday since Oct. 7th so I won't be too heart broken missing one day.

SwampCollie 11-16-2006 09:28 AM

Slo-

Are y'all chumming or trolling now? Haven't gotten to fish up there in a few years. We always used to chum early up in the area you are talking about, then troll later in the season after moving the boat to Rudy Inlet in VABeach. Lots of fun! Good luck in the tourney!

ButchA 11-16-2006 09:33 AM

I hear that... I'm all psyched up and ready to go! [8D]

In fact, I am leaving real early Sat morning (maybe Fri night - I don't know yet) and heading out to the western part of VA, out to the mountains to a deer hunting camp that I belong to. We all meet up ever year at Thanksgiving week/opening day firearms season and hunt the whole week, weekend, next week, etc..etc... It's a little slice of heaven out there.

I'll be bringing both the Remington 870 and the Marlin 30-30 and my Summit Viper, so I can pick and choose what type of hunting I want to do and with what firearm.

Butch A.

Slo-Pitch 11-16-2006 11:44 AM

Collie: We are catching the big boys trolling now. We are catching some 22-25 inchers by jigging around working birds. Some people are still chumming but i think most are trolling now that the big guys are here.