Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Wisconisn Gun Season and the nerver of some people >

Wisconisn Gun Season and the nerver of some people

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wisconisn Gun Season and the nerver of some people

Old 11-14-2006, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Wisconisn Gun Season and the nerver of some people

Well most of us are ready for the 9 day gun season plus the herd reduction hunt and the muzzle loader following immediately after the 9 day regular gun season. Well anyway to my point at hand. I was talking to my brother on Sunday and we got to talking about deer tags. Well we always buy our gun license and get a free antlerless tag with it for herd reduction. He was telling me, my father in law, and my father inlaws nephew that a guy he works with bought 15 herd reduction tags. Now keep in mind the herd reduction tags are antlerless only and can only be used in areas that are designated herd reduction zones. When my brother asked him why he bought so many he said thathe shoots everything from fawns to doesto bucks,and he loves the taste of fawns. FAWNS!!!!I dont see a problem with taking out a couple does and a buck but to start shooting anything that is brown is rediculous in my book. This is the kind of guy that gives hunters a bad name. My brother tried to explain to him why he needs to let these little ones go but he wont listen. There no meat on a fawn, they have no taste, and they are nothing but mush. I ca see taking a fawn if it had been wounded by why take next years trophies....the nerve of some people.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:34 AM

Default RE: Wisconisn Gun Season and the nerver of some people

As far as I'm concerned this guy isn't doing anything wrong. While 15 deer seems to be a bit much.If the DNR didn't want him to shoot 15 deer then they wouldn't have sold him the 15 tags. There is nothing wrong with him shooting fawns. The DNR is giving out all those tags because they want to greatly reduce the deer herd. They want deer to be shot, not just does and bucks, but fawns as well. Who knows, maybe this guy will help keep your zone from becoming an earn a-buck-zone next year. Thats what will happen if enough antlerless deer are not shot. While I commend you for your deer management practices (shooting only does to avoid shooting buck fawns), I disagree with your assumption that everyone else in the world has to do the same thing. Unless you own the land he is hunting on, what gives you the right to decide what he can or can not shoot????
Old 11-14-2006, 08:35 AM

Yep, some people. I don't understand it either.

My buddy and I went to register his deer last year in Juneau County and there was a lady there with an oxygen tank and mask all decked out in her Blaze Orange in line to have a deer registered, but there was no deer on her vehicle. After she opened the trunk, there was a small fawn in the trunk. I didn't say anything, just kind of gave hera look. She was as happy as a pig in $hit!!! Whatever.

I'll be hunting Langlade county opening weekend and then going over to Juneau County (herd reduction zone) where my buddy lives. If I get a buck opening weekend, then i'll only hunt by him if he wants the doe thinned out. And if he wants the meat, he'll take it, if not it gets donated. If not, one deer is plenty of meat for me until next season.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its not that I think what hes doing is wrong but why be so greedy, that is the point. Sure theres more than 10,000 $2.00 herd reduction tags available but why should one person think they need to buy 15 tags just to go back and buy another 15 or so after opening day. Its greed. Plain out greed. Good luck to him next year when he doest have any deer to shoot.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:27 AM

IMO; there are all sorts of reasons for him to get the tags.I myself take several deer each year.(for the wife and myself 2;maybe 3 deer) will be all we need,we don't buy meat at the store.only what we take.

we also feed several families that would not get fresh meat unless we kill several deer and hogs a year.not to mention my family that I give to(the ones that can't hunt)

I guess it depends on the person.as long as it is legal for someone to take that many,it's OK by me.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

As long as there are plenty of tags to go around, and he is either using the meat personally or donating it to a program or family, I don't have a problem. Let's face it, the purpose is herd reduction. By the time December rolls around, many/most of the 'fawns' are tough to distinguish from a second year doe...at least the corn fed ones here in central Iowa.
I do have a problem if people are buying their limits of tags, not using them, and keeping me or anyone else that really wanted a tag from getting one.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:13 AM

There are unlimited of these $2.00 tags available. So, If he does not use them, no one else is beinge cheated. The DNR just gets more money. No problem there.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

Guys as far as I've ever read even QDM is ok with the harvest of doe fawns. As long as you know what you are shooting isn't a doe a doe??
Old 11-14-2006, 12:55 PM

If the state didn't want him to buy 15 tags they would put a limit on them. I can't agree that a fawn has no taste. They have tasted good to me. Maybe he hunts to give the deer to people who like to eat it, or are in need? Nothing wrong with that in my opinion, and the state is obviously encouraging a large deer harvest.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

The state wants to reduce the number of deer. They don't care if it is a fawn or not. A deer is a deer. Not my cup of tea but not a reason to throw stones in my opinion.