Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 First day rifle in KY - big buck w/pics >

First day rifle in KY - big buck w/pics

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First day rifle in KY - big buck w/pics

Old 11-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default First day rifle in KY - big buck w/pics

OK.

So I hunted early ML season in KY with no luck, didn't see anything big.

It looked like it was going to be a miserable weekend. The weather looked bad, it was too hot (50-60 degrees).

I convinced myself to put the time in and sit in my stand all day, it was opening day and I didn't have much time to hunt in Kentucky this year, as I purchased 100 acres in southeast Ohio and have put all my time in there.

Anyway, the day started like I thought it would, crappy... It was way to warm for much movement and I saw just one small fork buck early in the morning. At ten o'clock a small six-point came over the hill staired in my direction and ran off,probably looking for the evidence of my estrous sent I put out.

At one o'clock I got down out of my blind and walked about a quarter of a mile to "use the facilities" and made the decision that I was going to sit in my blind all day and went back.

At two o'clock this deer came over the hill (just like the six pointer) and stared in my direction. I had to rush my shot after I decided he was a shooter.

The shot was with my new Kimber Longmaster with a zeiss 3-9, he was moving slowly at approximately 165 yards. The .243 went in behind his shoulder and took out both lungs.

The deer still ran further than any other deer I have ever shot. It took me over an hour to find him. All internal bleeding, there was no blood trail to speak off.

Here are some picks.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: First day rifle in KY - big buck w/pics

another pic...

Old 11-12-2006, 10:06 PM

that's a sweet deer man! and you look a little over dressed for 50-60 degree weather
Old 11-12-2006, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

that's a sweet deer man! and you look a little over dressed for 50-60 degree weather
No the 50-60 degree weather was in Oct during our muzzloading season. This was taken the past two days during rifle season It has been in the 40's in my neck of the woods.

Very nice buck. CONGRATS!
Old 11-13-2006, 01:36 AM

congrats on that very nice deer, and yes it was pretty cold saturday evening down in knox county too, saturday morning was warm, but after it came a good hard rain, it was cold later on in the day....still after my ky buck..maybe something will work out this week or this coming weekend
Old 11-13-2006, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

looks like your cold and wet..........nice buck, real nice !
Old 11-13-2006, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

actually the day started in the mid-50s with a strong wind, then came the rain, which surprisingly didn't cool it down too much... The coldest it got in Bracken county (where I hunt) was around 45 on Saturday.

I haven't scored him yet, but I think he will gross pretty nice, net might be a little off because he is not too typical and his spread for his size was only 16".

Thanks for the congrats!

By the way I stay dry all day since I bought one of those Ted Nugent Shadow hunters. It makes hunting that much more enjoyable.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

What bullet/load did you use??

Nice deer.

Must have been really windy looks like it messed up your hair.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

Funny Duckbutter! GREAT DEER!

Quick Reply: First day rifle in KY - big buck w/pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.