Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why aren't there more Black hunters? >

Why aren't there more Black hunters?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why aren't there more Black hunters?

Old 11-12-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Why aren't there more Black hunters?

Ever notice that on all of the hunting shows, there are very few (if any) African American hunters? None of my hunting buddy are black and none of my black friends hunt. In fact most of my black friends think I am kind of crazy for enjoying hunting?
How many of you out there are African American? All you White, Latino, or Asian hunters out there; do you have any African American friends who hunt?
Just kind of an anthropological/socialogical curiousity.
okcmco
Old 11-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why aren't there more Black hunters?

we have three clubs around my house of completely african american hunter so there is a lot of them my history teacher the other day said he was going to take up hunting
Old 11-12-2006, 08:02 PM

Now that you mention it I can't come up with a single one.

There are, however, a LOT of african-american fisherman in my area. I'd dare say it's about 50/50 with everyone else.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

You not looking to good there.
These are good hunters,
Warren Strickland.
James ( Bud ) Jackson
Kelly Dardon

And a others I can't remember
Old 11-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

I know there are some but I personally don't know any. However, I know and have seen alot who are fisherman.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it has to most blacks living in cities rather than rural America. They just aren't exposed to it as much. I do know a few that rabbit hunt however.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont personally know any african americans taht hunt either
Old 11-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

We have very few in my neck of the woods. The fewI do know were taught by their fathers and live out in the "country". I always wanted to start a mentoring program for kids of all ethnic backrounds and wanted to see what some of the inner city kids(white, black and latino)would think of itif given the chance to hunt and be in the outdoors. There is on the other hand agood amount of latino hunters and I think it is great to see whole families enjoying the sport. Igo onsome 3-d shoots every year and have been seeing moreblack archers every year. It does the sport alot of good when you have many people enjoying it. During gun week last year I hadwitnessed a funny sighton a public peace we were hunting, a couple ofspanish guys were loading up a doe into a loweredacura with 20" chrome wheels on it. I don't know who lookedmore silly those guys stuffing it in the trunk or us trying to get a couple deer loaded into the bed of a Ford F250 with 8" lift and37'' tires on it. We were laughingat them and they were laughing at us! all in good fun. Point is people are people.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Kybuckhunter

I think it has to most blacks living in cities rather than rural America. They just aren't exposed to it as much. I do know a few that rabbit hunt however.
I truly think this is the main reason why. If your family and all of your friends never hunted do you think you would be hunting? Probably not! Same reason there are not many AA farmers in my area, none that really been doing it to pass the farm down too! I think saying they are all in the cities is borderline taking this thread in the wrong direction but it is the truth. Most AA have not in my opinion started to "prosper" and start doing great for there family's until say the last fifty years or so. Once theyget out into the country more andliving the country life there kids will start to pick up on it.One of my best friends is AA and he talks to me all of the time about wanting to hunt, somedayI think he will and his kids will probably fallowright behind him. I make this post in good, so please no one take it wrong.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I prefer to think of hunters... as hunters. I don't get into classifying them by color, race or creed. It just doesn't seem important. You're a hunting brother or you're not. Why do we need to always have to input something more than it really is?

Quick Reply: Why aren't there more Black hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.