Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why aren't there more Black hunters? >

Why aren't there more Black hunters?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why aren't there more Black hunters?

Old 11-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why aren't there more Black hunters?

I can certainly tell you about some I wish DID'NT hunt! Nothing racial here,but these guys are holding on to the old southern tradition of running dogs. They kill anything and everything they see(we used to do the same thing),and are'nt interested in even hearing about QDM. Of course, dogs don't honor property lines,so they run deer onto and off of our lease on a regular basis..... very frustrating,but what can you do.....
Old 11-13-2006, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know quite a few african american hunters.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would guess that most people who hunt had a father who hunted. If not a father, some close relative who hunted. If we have a close relative who hunts, we probably grow up with positive associations with hunting. If no close relative hunts, we do not have these associations with hunting and hunting may seem very foreign to us. I suspect that in a lot of places blacks did not hunt in the past, for whatever reason.

In Illinois, where I come from, most blacks were located in Chicago and probably had few opportunities to hunt. We are talking about in the past, perhaps in the 1950's and 1960's. So maybe most of the blacks in Illinois have no association of close relatives with hunting. The hunting club in North Caroline that Oneshot7 mentions may exist because blacks in North Carolina in the 1950's and 1960's were located in rural areas and did indeed have hunting opportunities and thus shared a hunting tradition with their children.

Just a theory. I grew up on a farm in Illinois, and my father hunted and was a gun enthousiast. My father grew up on a farm and as a child hunted for rabbits to help feed the family during the Great Depression. He says they used to chase the rabbits in furoughs of plowed land and caught rabbits in "gunny sacks" -- burlap bags that may have been used to hold potatoes. But I imagine he also used .22 rifles or shotguns to take other small game.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I prefer to think of hunters... as hunters. I don't get into classifying them by color, race or creed. It just doesn't seem important. You're a hunting brother or you're not. Why do we need to always have to input something more than it really is?
Well If you dont see color then you must be blind or dumb cause you would have to be ignorant not to notice there are not as many African American hunters as white. Now in my case however I know many "black" hunters as I live in Southeast michigan even though I dont know any personally I do have many friends that are black that I fish and work with and they have no problem with hunting they just never got into it or had anyone to get them into it. And you know as well as I do that there are many Racist hunters out there I Hunt in a very racist part of michigan but I dont exactly understand why people can even be racist. well I guess im starting to ramble so Ill just stop cause im starting to get angry and i dont want to say anything Ill regret.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:59 AM

I'm a 27 year old black guy from Paris Kentucky I currently live inLexington but I hunt and fish and love every moment of it. I was fortunate to have a great father that loves it more than I. In the summer months we Bass fish in the early spring and early fall we crappie fish then as soon as the season opens we are DEER HUNTING as much as possible we also Turkey and Rabbit huntas well. My Dad is a successful at both I'm getting to be the more I hunt but for the most part black kids don't have a active father in their lives to do this with. Nor do they have the resources to do it such as land, guns (rifles not hand guns)or money and we all know it takes all three. Also those fathers who do take an interest in their son or daughters well being probably don't hunt or fish alot don't even know how. I guess I'm lucky because I get to hunt on private land we don't own yet but we are currently looking to buy and I get to fish from a beautiful Ranger boat and spend time with one of THE WORLD'S GREATEST FATHERS and learn about the outdoors but most of all life and how to treat people and respect the outdoors! MANLAW
Old 11-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Welcome Manlaw! I usally go to Winchester twice a year!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:22 AM

I don't know any... but that doesn't mean they aren't around.

I don't think this man's post was meant to cause a stir, he's African American, so I think he is genuinly curious why other's aren't into hunting.

I think what has been said has a lot to do with it. Upbringing is where MOST hunters learn the ways of the wild. lol Many African Americans live in town, there isn't anything wrong with it, just like any city-bred white folk, that's all they know. If you don't grow up with hunting, you are way less likely to pursue it in the future. I got lucky and ended up meeting a man who hunted, and taught me how (my husband), but if not for him, I'd still be walking the blind path of an "anti". [:'(]

I do see a bunch of African American fisherman, and that is because even in the city you have tons of fishing opportunites with parks, rivers, etc...

Old 11-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

I have some AA friends that loves to hunt and fish, they will hunt and fish every opportunity they get. They prefer to hunt in private land or paid hunts instead of public because of run-ins with racist people. I've ask them to go hunting with melots of times but I was going to hunt on public lands and they told me that it's not safe for minorities and I ask them why not. They just respond that they prefer to go hunting and not be hunted. We do fish in every rivers and lakes we can find in the state but just not hunting in public lands. I havehad lots of good times hunting with them in paid hunts and hunting in private land and I'm looking forward to the "07" season.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

One of the black fellas I work with has expressed an interest in trying deer hunting , so I've invited him to come to my place for his first attempt . Hopefully he'll catch the bug . The county I live in has a black population of around 3,000(10%) , and it seems to be mostly the older ones who hunt and fish . Strange since this is a predominantly rural county .
Old 11-13-2006, 11:26 AM

The term is Black Hunters, because you can be African American and be white.

Quick Reply: Why aren't there more Black hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.