HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What Maine hunting is all about........ (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/164618-what-maine-hunting-all-about.html)

wryfly 11-12-2006 07:50 AM

What Maine hunting is all about........

With a lot of hard work and a bit of luck, we were able to take down a monster 8 pointer last tuesday.

The morning had started off pretty warm, mid 30's and was forecast to climb in the 40's. The remainder of the snow from Sunday night was for sure going to melt. Finding these baby "moose" was going to get even more difficult. The four of us made our seperate ways to work the different areas of the big woods...the hardwoods on the ridge top...beaver bog's in the valleys.......green growth all around....and cuts from past logging.

After about 4 miles I found myself well over the ridgeline when I heard the shot. It was about 11 and the temp was climbing. Figured I should make my way back to the truck for lunch and to shed some clothing. We all met at the truck and had a bite to eat. My brother said he connected on a 8 pointer watched it fall and decided to make his way back to prepare for the drag. Never mentioning the actuall size of the deer.

We knew how far he was and nobody looked forward to the afternoon, but we headed out with tow rope in hand and many layers taken off.

After about 2 miles in and 2 beaver damns crossed we were there. When we came upon the deer no one could get over the mass of the body and the spread of its rack. How it was able to get through these woods was amazing, and the luck he had to find this guy out of his bed will never be forgotten.

the numbers..........he dressed out at 252lbs had a 30-3/8" spread (but just an 8 pntr haha). Each main beam exactly 27" long.

.......first beaver dam*

.......drag

......second beaver dam*

.....finally at the truck after 2.5 hrs

.......beer never tasted soooo good before!!

retrieverman 11-12-2006 08:49 AM

RE: What Maine hunting is all about........

Congrats on a great deer! He is a MONSTER!

Bionicrooster 11-12-2006 09:20 AM

Wow, what a brute!! That is an awesome deer, gotta love Maine! Where in the state were you hunting?

Phil from Maine 11-12-2006 09:22 AM

Congats to you and your hunting buddies. I do not know why but deer are showing up in this warm hunting season we have been having. Here tagging stations have been equal or greater then last year. A lot of young deer from the mild winter we have had last year. And just think 2 more weeks to go the numbers are still climbing up here. Again Congrats on your success.

slipknot 11-12-2006 12:21 PM

Great Buck, and pics.
Looks like a fun adventure...

AP deer hunter 11-12-2006 12:52 PM

wow! what a deer!

younggun308 11-12-2006 01:13 PM

WOW that's a monster! Congrats!

BTW, it's spelled beaver dam, not beaver damn. I guess you guys just call it that because you don't like beavers, but ,please,don't use profanity on HNI.

wryfly 11-12-2006 03:00 PM

Hey Bionic......we were in northwestern Maine. People forget how big the state is....we were just scratchin the surface. There is so much country up there holding BIG whitetail.

ruger357w 11-12-2006 03:16 PM

nice buck

Mike Hill 11-12-2006 06:58 PM

Real nice buck. I spent the whole first week in Western Maine (Stow) and never saw a deer all week. But thats hunting. What part of Maine do you hunt