Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Tips on getting my first deer. >

Tips on getting my first deer.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tips on getting my first deer.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tips on getting my first deer.

One thing that I think helps is staying very alert. Many times when you see a deer you have plenty of time to get ready to shoot. The sooner you see the deer, the more time you have to calm down. I always get an adreneline rush when I see deer. If you are surprised seeing a deer, you have a better chance of hurrying a shot or making a noise. Only a couple of years ago I was sitting in a stand 30 feet in the air. The stand has a metal roof. I looked to my right and saw a nice buck and when I grabbed my gun I rammed it right into the roof of the stand which I'm sure could be heard from a mile away. Needless to say, all I saw after that was waving tails.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Spike

I, also, am 17 years old and this is my first year bowhunting.The wayI have looked at it so far is to just put as much time into the woods as I can because you cant harvest a deer if you dont invest time into it. I find bowhunting to be HUGE challenge compared to gun hunting. On the property I hunt,I have seen a few nice shooter bucks all within gun range but not nearly within bow. It's a challenge, but try to invest as much time as you can into being in the woods and learning from it.

Good Luck

P.S. I havent filled my tags yet either [&:]
Old 11-12-2006, 06:28 PM

What does it mean to "fill tags?" I keep seeing that on here...
Old 11-13-2006, 08:12 PM

ORIGINAL: NY Woodsman

I, also, am 17 years old and this is my first year bowhunting.The wayI have looked at it so far is to just put as much time into the woods as I can because you cant harvest a deer if you dont invest time into it. I find bowhunting to be HUGE challenge compared to gun hunting. On the property I hunt,I have seen a few nice shooter bucks all within gun range but not nearly within bow. It's a challenge, but try to invest as much time as you can into being in the woods and learning from it.

Good Luck

P.S. I havent filled my tags yet either [&:]
opening season opens down south on the 18th so hopefully i come home with one.