Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Grrrrrrrr...  JUST out of range..... >

Grrrrrrrr... JUST out of range.....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Grrrrrrrr... JUST out of range.....

Old 11-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Grrrrrrrr... JUST out of range.....

Well, I got skunked (again) today.... [&o][>:]

This time is even more aggravating, because at least I SAW a deer and watched him carefully, cautiously start to approach. He was a small 4 point "scrub buck" - as the guys at camp refer to him (they've seen him before too).

I did everything by the book. Watch my scent... Play the wind... I also made a wad of cotton balls as a drag rag, and doused them with tarsal spray and made a big loop with it, up and along the ridge, circling my treestand. Then, finally 20 yards away, I hung a cotton ball sprayed with doe pee (not Tinks 69).

Anyway, the 4 pointer came up along the ridgetop and was roughly 70-75 yards away and for some reason, he stood still and never ventured further than that! If I had my Marlin 30-30 with me, I would have dropped him, but I had my bow with me and wouldn't/couldn't take that far of a shot.

This has me scratching my head, wondering how come he didn't come further. I was up around 23' in my treestand facing away from him (i.e. he came in behind me) so he couldn't see any movement, if he looked up. I wonder if the tarsal scent drag that I did caused him to wonder what it is, or perhaps a monster buck is patroling and he doesn't want to get his a$$ kicked, so he wouldn't venture further.

Butch A.

P.S. At least general firearms opens up next week, and I'll get him then!
Old 11-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Grrrrrrrr... JUST out of range.....

I did that the night before I shot my 10. He came out obot 70 yards and wouldn't budge. I had tarsal gland out and I was grunting at him. After I shot him the next night with doe in heat out I found out he got his but kicked he had two tine marks on his a$$. They do smell fear.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Grrrrrrrr... JUST out of range.....

That reminds me, I had my grunt tube and grunted a few times (before I saw him/heard him). It was weird... He was just a small 4 pointer, and probably didn't want to venture any further, for fear of a bigger buck in the area (or so I am assuming he is thinking that).

I'll get him next weekend!

Butch A.