Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 missed a doe, how long should stand rest >

missed a doe, how long should stand rest

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

missed a doe, how long should stand rest

Old 11-11-2006, 07:01 AM

Default missed a doe, how long should stand rest

well to make a long story short i missed a doe this mourning (11-11-06) with my muzzleloader. my question is how long should i let the stand rest until i see more deer again. rifle starts 11-17-06 should i wait till then or would it be ok to go out sooner. this is the first chance this year i had to harvest a deer and i blew it . i am about to blow my top, but it was still alot of fun being out theirto see the sunrise and watch the deer for a short time.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: missed a doe, how long should stand rest

i have a story for you..........this morning my buddy calls me, he missed a buck of a lifetime.....his 4th miss of the season....he decided to stay in his stand..he just called and he shot a massive 7 pointer......the deer are used to shots, i really dont think one shot will mess it up for ya...i think you have to worry more about the scent youre leaving than your shot.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:51 AM

Earlier this year i missed one with my bow and they ran back into the woods so i went to another stand 50 yards away and within 15 minutes i missed again. Im not sure why i was missing. when i got home i hit the bullseye everytime. The next night the deer came out where i missed the first one.

I also hit a doe and 5 minutes later another 3 does walked past me. I dont think they really know what happens because it is so fast. It doesnt take long for them to return.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

I missed a doe once and decided the deer prolly wouldn't come back so I got out of my stand and reloaded. Turned around and there was the buck that had been following her. I'd say get back out there. With all the shooting that is prolly on they don't remember one spot very long.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

No need to rest it at all.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

I would also say you are fine unless the deer seen you, if she saw you let it sit for a few days.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

No effect at all if she didnt' smell or see you.