Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Conservation

Old 11-10-2006, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Buck Conservation

Manlaw,

You da MAN!

I would guess that you don't have children. A kid getting their first deer is special to them AND their family. No matter if it's a small doe/buck un-worthy of being shot by you. To a kid getting his first deer IT IS A TROPHY.

There is so much hunting pressure in my area, that if you pass on the smaller ones, you probably won't get the 2nd chance to pass on them because someone else will have them in their freezer.

I think what deer you take is a very personal thing for each person. The deer population, number of hunters and many other factors come into play.

So send those 4 & 6 pointers my direction, me and the boys will put them in our freezer and be proud to have done it.

Nuff said.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: manlaw

I have a goal and point when I go into the woods and if I don't see what I'm looking for I don't SETTLE for LESS that's what a real man/ hunter is about. MANLAW
Well then Mr.studly manly man, I might as well start taking hormone pills now because my first and second deer were spikes, I even took a fawn once. I just don't understand how some people can be so wrapped up in themselves that they think that because they view something a certain way, that everyone else should too.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

For a first deer no problem shooting a small buck or fawn that just the way it is and im proud of what i have shot over the years but for adults who have taken many a deer and even some 140"+ why keep shooting the small bucks my neighbors are like that they hunt good land and shoot 1 1/2 yr old 8 points and smaller everyear if you just wait a year youll have much bigger bucks year after year.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:24 AM

I apologize for those I may have a offended I'm 27 yrs old and have only killed a doe in my 3 yrs of hunting I live in Ky and yes dear population is great in most areas and but it is in MY best opinion to kill a deer that has had time to live. I'm a Christian man and God put these great animals here to share the land with us and I believe that everything has a right to live. But I'm also and avid hunter and fisherman and I practice good conservation on both sides. I've had many many opportunities to kill many small bucks and spikes but I was brought up to let them pass on a chance they may grow into a larger Trophy Buck one day. I do have a daughter and hope I will be able to take her on a hunt one day that she may kill a deer regardless of size or sex. But as for me I choose only to kill does for meat (because they are very plentiful here) and larger bucks for trophys I will continue this practice as long as I hunt so that when my children grow up there will be good hunting in Kentucky as there is now. My message was a question not a statement and I was just curious as to why people kill young deer? I guess if you only see 1 or 2 deer a year then I could kind of understand that but I only saw 1 deer last year and it was a small doe that walked up to my stand last year on opening day this being because I got bronchistist from sitting out in the rain all day and only got to hunt a small amount of time. But I was more than happy that I got that chance to go hunting and see that 1 deer that is more than some people see in a life time. But my freezer always stays full with wild game so I guess I'm lucky but I apologize to all I may offended and I'm truly sorry. Please don't hold this against me!