Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Weather is crazy

Old 11-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default Weather is crazy

OK, help me out people. We have had crazy weather. 3 day cold fronts behind 3 day warm fronts. Tomorrow78 degrees....... Saturday 82 then Sunday back in the 60's. Has been like this for over a month. Now, when in the world are they feeding? Also full moon. So middle of the day. Early Morning or late evening. If you had to pic one which time?

Old 11-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Weather is crazy

It was in the high 60's today here in VA. Between that and the full moon. I havn't seen a deer on any of my evening hunts so far this week. I figure that they are moving mostly when it's cooler, mostly nocturnal. I'm going to mix things up and try a morning hunt tomorrow. I hate getting up early[:'(]!
Old 11-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Yup I'm gonna do the early morning thing also. Sunrise till about 10-11.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

I've been noticing that the warm weather here in Michigan seems to have slowed the rut. The middle of the day can often be pretty good for the bigger bucks to check their scrapes etc. But it seems movement has pretty much come to an end about 2 1/2 hours into the morning hunt and doesn't pick up again until the last 45 minutes of light in the evening here. They should be running all day long right now! I have seen most of the bigger bucks in the morning, and so that would be my pick of time if I had to choose.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

Freinds of my told me when thiers a full moon the best time to hunt is 10;OO TO 2;OO thats when you'll see the bigger buck moving around checking scrapes and looking for doe's and also the last hourf light.again thats what i've been told .Because when thiers a full moon i to don't see deer early in the morn but see them around the last hour of the hunt. hope this helps you good luck.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:52 PM

Wait a minute, that's weird? Sounds like the typical weather here. Two weeks ago the temp barely hovered above 0. Yesterday it was in the mid 60's. Today a cold front started moving in and it got down to the low 30's, and it's still dropping as we speak.

Hunting by the moon cycles is a bunch of hooey IMO. Try to catch them moving to their beds at first light, try to catch them in their beds during the day, then try to catch them moving again at night.