Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifle hunting question

Old 11-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rifle hunting question

ok rifle season starts here this saturday, my dad brother andI have been crossbow hunting in this place well my dad got a doe there but that was it we have explored the place and walked around and stuff but we have never seen a buck just does so my question is wut strategies can i use this saturday to get a buck? calling? anything would be good, oh by the way we found scrapes and some rubs too so i dont know what to do ?? so some advice will be appreciated thank you
Old 11-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle hunting question

To find the bucks (during the chase and breeding portion of the pre-rut / rut) hunt the does! The boys are lookin' for love. Set up near bedding areas in a.m. and feeding areas in p.m. Try to catch the bucks going to an area as opposed to coming from an area. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Good luck.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

ok when we killed our doe we killed her by a little pond thing so i think the pond its like a trail, because there is alot of acorn trees and water and a bunch of tracks, but there is also some scrapes do you think someone should set up by the scrap just in case? or what should i use a doe call? or what should i do? should i do some rattling?
Old 11-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Hunt downwind of the does bedding areas. Use maximum scent control in case he comes in downwind of you. Take extra care to hide youself, and if you are in a treestand go a little higher, but be sure to wear your safety harness.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

oh I see, im goign to be in a blind i dont really know where the bedding areas of the does are but i know their trail is it a good idea to setup near the trails? is it ok to us antlers and calls this time of year?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:44 AM
Typical Buck

GON

You've got pretty good advice so far. I can tell you this.....if you found rubs and scrapes, there are bucks in the area. The funny thing about the rut is, those bucks might be elsewhere right now if they have wandered around and found a receptive doe a mile or two away. the absolute neatest thing about the rut is, while those bucks are away, another will surely be sniffin' around to try and take care of the ladies while his competition is away. The key to killing bucks, is exploiting their greatest weakness......women. The bucks who made those rubs and scrapes, are probably moving only at the very earliest part of the day, and the latest part most of the time....except when they start breeding. Then the rut will cause them to move almost constantly until they find a doe to breed. If your buck has already found his doe, then it's a matter of waiting for her to arrive. He won't let her get far from him until he's bred her. So, the does you've been seeing, will be the ticket to find the bucks. I'd hunt the same areas I've been hunting as long as I've beenseeing does. the bucks will come. If you haven't been seeing does in your earlier hunts, I'd look my area over again. Look for those trails, and follow them until you find the bedding area they lead from. Set up near there and hope for the best.

Good luck!

GH
Old 11-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks!!!