HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Guy tried climbing in my stand (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/164064-guy-tried-climbing-my-stand.html)

tazman7 11-08-2006 05:12 PM

Guy tried climbing in my stand

So I was out hunting today and my treestand is on a fence line pointed towards our property. I look behind me and there is the landowner in his truck and a guy that is going to go hunting in a van- they sat about 300 yards behind me and then the guy thats hunting comes walking towards me. I hid behind the tree that I was in ato see what he was going to do, all of a sudden I look over and he is jumping the fence coming straight towards my stand- I had my bow hanging up and he must have seen it and he says "hey" I was like yeah? He goes oh, I didnt know you were here.... Im thinking ok ill keep my cool thinking he would be decent about it. He leaves and comes back 15 minutes later with the landowner and the landowner decides to drive his pickup truck through the corn fieldright next to my stand and sit there for 5 minutes.

I know in Illinois the DNR will bust people that do that kind of stuff to scare deer away from a hunter...

If he wouldnt have had a bow in his hand he might have ended up with a black eye.

What would you guys do about this?

deerslayer270 11-08-2006 05:29 PM

RE: Guy tried climbing in my stand

shoulda hid better and grunted at him a few times...messed with his head a lil bit.....started talkin 2 him as a buck..LMAO.....

teamster284 11-08-2006 05:33 PM

I would have blown a fuse when they came back. i mean if he has permission to hunt the land you cant do a whole lot about it except try to keep him out of your stand but if he didnt have permission to hunt where you were and jumped the fence i would have blown up ! ! ! i mean your day is done when the truck comes back anyway right?

tazman7 11-08-2006 05:57 PM

I wish I would have thought of that deerslayer- that would have been hilarious.

Yeah I did yell at the land owner- he sat there looking at me for 5 minutes and Ikinda threw my armsup and screamed wtf?

No he did not have permission to hunt our land so he was trespassing. I didnt really want to say anything though because if I shoot a deer and it runs on hisside I want to be able to get it. But I have a feeling that he will be back just because he was ignorant enough to come back after he knew I was there just to make me mad- I guessme and my neighborsrunning over his chickens that he lets run out in his road wasnt enough...

Manfred 11-08-2006 06:00 PM

First of all congrats on staying cool in the field, that must have been hard.
Second, If I'm not mistaken, once he jumped the fence he was trespassing - right? Get his tag number and report him. If you have one of the handy dandy cell phones with a camera, take his picture to prove it, then call Johnny Law. He may end up ruining your hunt but you could ruin his hunting privilages for a long time.

tazman7 11-08-2006 06:03 PM

Oh and I forgot to add the best part- to top it off he came walking in smoking a cigarette and I was looking at the two guys through my binocs and he was also drinking- what a good combination when you go hunting...losers-

bob d 11-08-2006 06:24 PM

maybe he thought it was a buddy stand , but seriously slobs are just that slobs and you probably wont ever change them

deerslayer270 11-08-2006 06:24 PM

DEER: hey you.....
GUY: um? hello?
DEER: boy....you better be leavin my lady deer alone..
GUY: who's there?
DEER: boy i aint gonna tell ya again...ya better get the hell away from my does
GUY: who is that?
DEER: i am gonna kick your a$$..thats who i am boy...dont be askin me stupid questions boy. you can call me mr. Big buck
GUY: uh. mr.big buck, sir?
DEER: I see you checkin out my does.
GUY. no mr. big buck sir....
DEER:THATS IT!!!! IM GONNA GET YOU!!!!!!!!(AT THIS POINT YOU PUT YOUR BUcK GRUNT IN YOUR MOUTH AND HOLD YOUR RATTLING ANTLERS ON YOUR HEAD AND START AN FULL ON CHARGE AT HIM)

tazman7 11-08-2006 06:43 PM

Oh man, thats hilarious! You should be a commercial writer- that would be hilarious

Turkey63 11-08-2006 08:43 PM

I have had to deal with this before being president of our club here in the south. I tell them this isn't right. these boys spend their time away from work just like you, leave them alone and let them enjoy their hunt.
If I have to deal with you, it won't be through the club........... and you won't hunt either, because I can do the same to you, messing up your time away from work that you want to spend hunting. They'll get the message if they have any morals at all.

farm hunter 11-08-2006 09:56 PM

I don't bow hunt less than 200 yds from one of our borders anymore (2400 ft long - not a small border!) - Its ALWAYS a problem. I dread asking permission to get a hit deer on the neighboring property - (all the other neighbors are cool) but I do all I can to avoid having a deer die over the line on this border.

Maybe you should hunt in on your property a little more?

FH

tazman7 11-08-2006 10:45 PM

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

I don't bow hunt less than 200 yds from one of our borders anymore (2400 ft long - not a small border!) - Its ALWAYS a problem. I dread asking permission to get a hit deer on the neighboring property - (all the other neighbors are cool) but I do all I can to avoid having a deer die over the line on this border.

Maybe you should hunt in on your property a little more?

FH

Yeah I have thought of that but the only good place to hunt on our property is in the trees on the fence row (where I am at)

Sphinx 11-08-2006 10:45 PM

If I were you I'd be moving that stand(assuming it's a portable stand) because that guy is likely to come back when your not, and I wouldn't surprised if it were gone the next time your out to hunt that stand. Three years ago a similar thing happen't to me. I was hunting on my grandfathers property one evening and this dude walked up to my stand and asked me why I was in his buddy's stand. I replied to him that it was my stand and pointed out my name engraved on the bottom of the platform. He then told me his buddy had pointed him in the direction of the stand, so I asked who his buddy was and he told me that was none of my business. So doing the smart thing and trying not to piss him off since his supposed buddy already appeared be have done that I told him of a good spot to set up on the ground and to just go ahead and enjoy the evening hunt. He thanked me for not being to upset with him, and politely moved on towards the area I had directed him to. When I got down out of my stand that evening I caugt up with guy along with my dad and we informed him that his buddy didn't actually have permission on the property since only family had permission. It's been that way for years and it's still that way. He apologized for the whole thing, and moments later a truck pulled up and he left. Everything seemed ok, but the next morning I went out for a morning hunt and my stand was gone. Apparently he had left and came back with some bolt cutter because I always chain and lock my stands in. The guy never showed up or was heard from again, untill last year when my uncle and his two boys found the guy setting a stand up in the woods again. Unfortunately it wasn't the one that got stolen, but he was arrested for trespassing none the less. Anyhow I would suggest moving that stand for a while.

Steve F.in MD 11-09-2006 04:51 AM

You already have a jerk for a neighbor. He sounds just like my brother in law who owns a lot of land in PA. His idea of hunting is to drive his truck into a field and stick his .243 out the window. Then he has the nerve to tell me that whitetail hunting is not challenging for him anymore. I told him to get out of the truck and try to kill one with a bow if he wanted a challenge. Some people just don't get it!

jestan007 11-09-2006 05:35 AM

I had a situation like that last year were a guy was in my stand when I got there. I got out there late one morning and starting making niose without yelling to get him to notice me and not shot me. I didnt want the guy to mistake me talking loud or yelling for being angry. I kept my distance until i was pretty sure he wasnt going to shot me. I told him that he wasnt supposed to be in that stand because it was on my dad property and that was the only stand I had. Its a small 3 acres surrounded by my great uncle's property so I'm used to having people coming on there not knowing they dont have permission. The guy was kinda pissed, but I didnt care. I'm not really sure if he had permission to be on my GU land. He gave the normal my friend said I could hunt here excuse. It worries me about these kinda of people. I guess he didnt hear or see me walking in or he was hoping I would turn and go the other way. I figured the hunting wasnt going to be good after that but I just wanted to sit out in the field and relax.

tazman7 11-09-2006 07:01 AM

If I had another place to put the stand I would...but that is seriously the only tree that I can put it in on our property- It is a 2 man ladder stand- Ill be mad if it is gone because I just spend $150 on it- I know where the owner of the other property lives so if he wants to be a jerk some more I have no problem calling the police...I should anyway for him driving up to me when he knew I was there- that send me off the roof.

cowboy4513 11-09-2006 08:48 AM

Ignorant people SUCK!!!

little indian 11-09-2006 12:45 PM

To start with, why should a landowner let trespassers dictate what they can do on their own land? I control what goes on on my land. I can't control what goes on on the other side of the fence. I would suggest hiding an IR cam pointing at the stand in case someone tries to steal it. That way you can catch them red handed. I try to get along with my neighbors and for the most part I do, but you can't always please everyone. I would also put a bug in the CO's ear about mixing alcohol & hunting along with the trespassing. I carry a camera phone & a digital camera with me when I am out. They come in handy. Last yr I made pic's of lic. plates beats writing things down.

triggerhappy 11-09-2006 01:08 PM

I think I would make sure I have a good lock on my tree stand were I you. I mean heavy chain not a cable because if he trespasses and drinks while he hunts and displays the type of attitude you described It doesn't sound like he would have a problem taking your $150.00 stand home with him either.

IndyHunter83 11-09-2006 01:10 PM

If I were you I'd move my stand. I had a similar situation last year. I left my stand where it was for afew days and next thing I know I'm walking in to a stand that isn't there. Move your stand.

tazman7 11-09-2006 02:24 PM

Well my dad is out there hunting right now- I havent recieved a phone call saying that my stand is gone yet so it must still be there- We did get a no hunting or trespassing sign to put up though so now he knows if he crosses it again hes in trouble. I put a HUGE chain and lock on it when I hung it up there- But anything can be stolen its just a matter of how long it takes the person.

kabic 11-09-2006 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: tazman7
I put a HUGE chain and lock on it when I hung it up there- But anything can be stolen its just a matter of how long it takes the person.
Thats correct. If the chain is too hard to cut they will just cut the tree.

dustin78 11-09-2006 02:59 PM

I would leave it there, If it is taken then I would confront the man and ask him about it you should be able to tell by his reaction in about 10 seconds if he is lying....then I would say this "If WE ever catch ANYONE on OUR land Im going to cut their dic* off and shove it up their as*. That way you arent directing it just towards him but if anyone comes over there. And if next time he comes driving up to ya in your stand just tell em "Hey you know your not helping me out by driving up on me while Im hunting" Maybe he will catch your drift...GOODLUCK!

tazman7 11-09-2006 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: dustin78
"Hey you know your not helping me out by driving up on me while Im hunting" Maybe he will catch your drift...GOODLUCK!
Or I could just say im a very good shot up to 50 yards just to let you know....haha

deerslayer270 11-09-2006 04:35 PM

tell him you can castrate a rat a 100 yds...and that you would love some more small target practice :D

the bees knees 11-09-2006 05:32 PM

How many broadheads do you carry? Send some of your trusty broadheads into his tires. (save some for the fight though)
p.s. check your local laws on spearing tires and tresspassers. could be a minor legal problem.

tazman7 11-13-2006 01:57 PM

Well get this- the following night my dad went and hunted I talked to him after he got done and he was driving around in the fields looking for this idiot- I guess he walked in on him and my dad got out of the treestand and went on a manhunt- We think the guy crawled in this big hole and sat there for 1.5 hours. My dad was pissed so he went up to the lane where he has to drive his truck down to leave and he waited there for the guy to come out- The guy finally came and my dad told him and the farmer off. He was like I dont know who taught you how to hunt but your are an idiot- He says you never walk into the woods smoking a cigarette, everybody knows that. It goes on and on- we havent had problems since. Im leaving in 10 minutes to go hunt so we will see what today brings..possible a$$ whooping.

Duckbutter48 11-13-2006 02:06 PM

Put a note on your stand that says "Smile your on Camera" and explain in the note that you will prosecute anyone illegally on your property.

With all the new commericials for camera's that don't flash and such he'll never know if you have one or not.

I hope your dad tears him a new a-hole though, a good butt whoppin is a very good learning experience.

ElmerFud 11-13-2006 05:33 PM

Reading this reminds me of the time I was hunting on a 3000 acre parcel of state land two years ago. I had walked about 3/4 of a mile in on a trail in the dark and got all settled in and about 45 minutes after sunrise this guy come through the woods dragging his feet in the leaves and stepping on every branch in his sight and walks over to me and tells me I am in his spot. Remember this is state forests and I have sat on the same rock for each of the past three days andshot two deer. I told him that I had been there the past 3 days and never saw another person. He replied that he just got back from vacation and he always hunts this spot. I nicely responded that there was 3000 other acres he could hunt on if he wanted, trying ot keep my cool and notwanting to be shot by this fool. He says NO I will sit right here and he sits down about 5ft in front of me on a stump. I couldnt believe it, next thing I know about 10 minutes later he pulls up his gun and shoots at a big Oak tree and then stands up and shoots again. I just sat there inn shock. Nexthe decides to walk over afew feet and take a piss. When he is done he says enjoy the hunt and walks off.

It drives me nuts how people can act this way...I did get his back tag and stopped a forest ranger the next dayabout it...ended up he was a non-resident hunter and they arrested him that same eveningfor jacking a doe out of a field.
sorry for the long story but try to keep your cool and handle this in a manner so you dont end up getting shot...remember there are tons of nuts out there.

bhensley 11-13-2006 06:02 PM

Holy cow elmerfud, I would have had that guy biting the tree stump if he did that to me. Good job for keeping your cool though, I can keep pretty cool in bad situations but that would have knocked me over the edge.
Brandon

ElmerFud 11-13-2006 06:29 PM

I was about to lose it but I didnt trust the guy not to try something..I had a guy take a deer from me in columbia county the year before after I shot it when he spooked it out of the valley. I had 2 shots in the 4 pointer, my first buck, and he came up the hill about 30 minutes later and I was dragging it down..to meet my father and he said he would be taking it. I didnt know what to do and I didnt trust the guy, so I let it go. We saw the guy at the walmart get out of his van and go insideand my dad wanted to take the tag off the deers ear so the guy would get in trouble for an illegal deer if he gotcheckedbut I told him it wasnt worth it...sometimes you have to let things go...after that I have killed 12 deer in the southern tier so that one wont matter. thats how I got the name ElmerFud.

tazman7 11-13-2006 06:42 PM

man elmerfud- I would have pistol whipped that guy. People absolutely amaze me sometimes with their stupidity alone!

ElmerFud 11-13-2006 09:36 PM

I know what you mean. I would have loved to knock that guy out but i didnt trust him not to turn a gun on me..got to watch out for that..remember the guy in wisconsin a few years back who shot those guys when they told him to leave their treestand??
I dont trust some people, especially if the act that way..

best of luck to you hunting..I cant wait for our southern tier to open on saturday for rifle/shotgun...I didnt get a deer last year, maybe this year will be better.

NCHuntnFEVER06 11-13-2006 10:30 PM

Sounds like yall are way to nice !! The more you let people get away with stuff the more people that'll do it.. I was raised way back in the sticks and I'll tell ya what you trespass on any land you weren't suppose to be on I guarntee you'd never do it again..