Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 what would you use in a nonrifle area >

what would you use in a nonrifle area

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what would you use in a nonrifle area

Old 11-08-2006, 11:01 AM

Default what would you use in a nonrifle area

Muzzleload or slug gun?
Im looking to extend my range a little in a no rifle area. If I go with a ML I could extend my season. Slug gun I would have quick followup shots. Which type of gun tends to shoot farther keeping accuracy? I know both are legal during general firearms season in the area. Anything else I'm forgetting about?

Old 11-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: what would you use in a nonrifle area

The muzzleloader , one well placed shot obviates the need for a follow up shot . Having too many in the mag is the leading cause of crippled deer . The ML also allows you more time afield as you pointed out .
Old 11-08-2006, 11:40 AM

I have an Encore with both a 12g slug barrel and a 209x50 ML barrel. Both are deadly out to 150 yards. I have not shot them farther than that. If I was to pick one, it would probably be the ML because it is more accurate and kicks less, plus it's fun. Don't expect extended range accuracy from a pump shotgun.(I might get jumped for that one but it's just my opinion) Whichever one you pick, you will just have to find which load it likes and shoot that.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:45 PM

Jestan007, I thought about the same issue for next year, ML or shotgun. I decided to plan to use my ML next year, as my range is doubled versus the shotgun. I guess it would depend on what you have for an ML and the range you believe that you can hit out to.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:19 PM

Right now my opinion is that a good .50 cal inline will give you better range and accuracy. Slugs and slug guns are getting better every year, but some are not as accurate as most inlines with a good load and it is pretty expensive to find a load your gun really likes if you don't get lucky right a way. Some modern sabot's are 15 dollars and up for 5 rounds!

I own both, an H&R ultra slug gun and a remington 700 inline. The slug gun is great for ease of use, follow up shots and cleaning (none pretty much). However the muzzle loader lets me shoot farther, more accurately and was cheaper to get to that point.

Performance on game is pretty much the same for either since they shoot simular bullets at simular weights and speeds.

If I were to do it all over again right now though I would probably pick a 20 ga slug gun over a 12. The loads are darn near identicle to what most are shooting in inline muzzle loaders with excellent results. The 12 ga just gives you a bigger bullet and more kick to go with it.

Paul
Old 11-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don’t muzzle load and find it a bit of a pain having to keep it clean from what I’ve heard, however I have hunted with the shotgun and find it allot simpler of a task to keep clean and to load so my vote would be slug gun...
Old 11-09-2006, 05:06 AM

id say go with the muzzleloader and i use shockeys pioneer gold powder can fire 1000 rounds before you have to clean i also use power belt sabots they work good either way good luck
Old 11-09-2006, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ML for if nothing else then extending your season.Though they are accurate, dependable, extended range with an inline and whole lot of fun!! Cleaning isn't that bad anyway! Like mentioned you can use APP which isn't as corrisive and actually prefers a fouled barrel. Or you could go with a Savage 10II ML, it uses BP, Subs and Smokeless powder. During ML season if smokeless is not allowed use pyrodex, T7, APP, etc and then in shotgun/gun switch over to smokeless (cleaning is of no worry).

I own a 54 Flintlock, Knight Disc 50 cal, Rem 700 MLS 50 cal and Savage 10II ML 50cal. Have also owned a gonic and TC ml's. Like them all of them and they have all taken game.

Good Luck
Old 11-09-2006, 05:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, I would have to pick the ML if I wanted to extend my time in the field. It would give me Muzzle Loader and General Gunseason.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: boomer0878

id say go with the muzzleloader and i use shockeys pioneer gold powder can fire 1000 rounds before you have to clean i also use power belt sabots they work good either way good luck
A 1,000 rounds through a typical inline before cleaing? I guess it may be possible, but who would want to even think about going that long.

Quick Reply: what would you use in a nonrifle area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.