Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 what would you use in a nonrifle area >

what would you use in a nonrifle area

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what would you use in a nonrifle area

Old 11-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what would you use in a nonrifle area

No one has ever shot 1,000 rounds through a muzzleloader without cleaning it cause after someone shoots it about 5 times they clean it give me a break and learn what you talking about before you comment on it!

On a side not I would go with a Shotgun You only need one but it is nice to be able to shoot 2 real quick you never know there could be a bigger one behind the first deer (where its legal to shoot 2 bucks)
Old 11-09-2006, 04:34 PM

I have used the pioneer powder, actually Clean Shot, I could shoot about 5 shots or so before accuracy suffered and I couldn't physically shove a sabot down the barrel. And after 5 or 6 six shots you would be amazed at the amount of white flakey crud that comes out of your barrel when you run a brush down it. I can't imagine what would happen after 1,000!

I think pioneer is great powder but I don't realistically see a rifle shooting that many shots before it needed to be cleaned. I wouldn't shoot a centerfire or rifled shotgun with sabots that many times before cleaning it.

I actually clean my bore after every shot when target shooting with my ML. This way every shot is from a clean cool barrel, just the way it will be in the field. It's time consuming, but yeilds pretty good accuracy.

Paul
Old 11-11-2006, 05:04 PM

I'm with Mohr, you're more likely to get the range you want with less tweeking with a ML than a shotgun.......I have an Encore 209X50 that will take a deer at 200 yards useing Barnes expanders (but I have to hold high)....but also have an 870 with a Hasting rifled barrel that will do the same when useing the Hordney SSTs sabot slugs(but I have to hold high with it too)...but it was a lot easier to get there with the Encore than the 870....every shotgun is going to perform differently.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Go with the muzzle loader. I used a shot gun for years and I would recommend a shot gun for the power but with some of these modern inlines you can get more distance and power from a muzzleloader. Since most of us only get one shot anyways don't worry about the not having multiple shots.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:32 PM

Just got permission to hunt land just outside the city limits and we are going to use slug guns. I just bought a H&R Ultra slug hunter. Can't wait to see how this does.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:16 PM

loader loaderloader: more fun, more accurate, more deadly.