Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Missed the wall hanger

Old 11-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Missed the wall hanger

I bagged 2 deer on opening day BP. A buck and a doe. So I got meat in the freezer.

Decided to hunt a new stand tuesday, that wasjust set up on Monday afternoon. Passed on a bunch of does and a small 7 pointer in the morning hunt. The evening hunt, I had a very small doe meandering around the stand all evening. 15 minutes before sunset a decent 8 pointer comes into the field and begins to chase the doe. 20 seconds later thisincredible 10 pointer comes out of the woods and chases the same doe right infront of the stand, 22 yards away. All this happen in 30 seconds, no time for buck fever. I put the crosshair on the shoulder and let it rip. When the smoke clears, all 3 are heading into the wood, hand and hand. The 10 pointer should have been on the ground infront of me. What happened????? Instead I had a wounded tree limb. DAMM IT. I checked for blood, just incase of a richocet gut shot. No blood, no deer, no wall hanger. I'm so distraught

I honestly believe that was my deer of a lifetime. I hopegod gives me a 2nd chance at that monster. That tree is getting a haircut later this week. I'll be lucky to get in that stand, since all the other hunters know that this stand is a honey hole of a spot.

I guess that is why we call it hunting instead of killing.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Missed the wall hanger

Keep your head up. ANY hunter that's been around a while has a similar story. I know I do!
Old 11-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

I was happy and smileing for the opportunity. But a wall hanger trophy would have been nicer.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

at least it was a clean miss
Old 11-08-2006, 10:56 AM

why does it seem like every time that big boy comes around nothing seems to go right? I think we all have been there.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:54 AM

I havent come face to face with my trophy lifetime buck, but i have had three wall hangers come around and poop always hits the fan, dont know what it is but if i ever manage to get a shot off hopefully i can put on on the wall, that doesnt stop me from getting back out there though, so go at and good luck,
Old 11-08-2006, 12:42 PM

Tuorangeaud, I can relate. I was able to quickly set-up on a large 12 pointer and finally missed after my shotgun would not fire the first 3 shots and I had to chamber new rounds5 years ago. I was kneeling in a path with this big boy broadside to me and unaware only 25 yards away. He ended up getting away as I shot out of frustration into the brush that he jumped into. It happens to all of us.
By the way I had a new shotgun for the next season, as the old one cost me, perhaps the buck of a lifetime.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

At least u missed and did'nt get down on your self about hitting him some were u did not want to go, head up and go get him next time
Old 11-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Dean. I had a big buck circle around me on the BP opener at 60 yards.....only problem is that I had the bow.[&o] I stopped him a couple of times (broadside) with a grunt call, but he wouldn't approach. Big long tined 8....and you know how rare those are where I hunt.

Mitch
Old 11-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cnhntr

why does it seem like every time that big boy comes around nothing seems to go right? I think we all have been there.
Big bucks dont get big without being smart and lucky ...thats why they are such a challange ... I deer hunted for over 10 years very hard in Alabama before ever taking a buck worth mounting ...missed several ..keep a stiff uper lip it will happen when you least expect it.

dd

Quick Reply: Missed the wall hanger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.