Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

public land calling

Old 11-07-2006, 06:20 PM
nap

Default public land calling

Anyone out thier that gun hunts on public land I want to now if its a good idea to use deer calls? If so whats the best to use?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: public land calling

I just called ina buck on monday. I was using a Buck Expert something or rather. 3 short calls at 15 minute intervals is usually what I do.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:36 PM

I use a grunt call (True Talker) on public land sometimes. It seems to work well, and I have not had any problems from it. I hunt in a very rural location with usually no other hunters. It is state trust land.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I hunt a good public property in Illinois but there are many hunters given the land available. I have to tell you there is no doubt the mature ones know the game. At least the one I am hunting does. One day he came out about 50 yards from me. I waited then when he started walking away I hit him with the Tru-Talker grunt, then a can call. No dice. He looked my way then walked off. The next encounter he came in upwind and I was donefor. He both saw me and smelled me..........ouch.....disaster. Well this morning I moved my stand and saw him come in at 9:15 AM right past my first stand. No way he could scent me. I tried the grunt call and he blew out of there like a freight train, across the river. It all depends on how many hunters they have heard. Forget about rattling for sure if there are any hunters at all near your area. That is the first thing they learn. Best to clam up completely, but if you must do anything just grunt loud enough for the buck to barely hear you, and only after you him and he is walking away. I did kill a nice P&Y lasy year this way on Nov. 1st.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on how crowded it gets.
I've been a place or two where I don't even want to be more than a few feet from a big tree trunk, much less sound like a deer.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

yup, it all depends on how busy it is. I hunt the second gun season which has less people hunting. I only use them if i get a ways away from the road, ive seen most other people hunting within 500 yds of the road.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I tried the grunt call and he blew out of there like a freight train, across the river. It all depends on how many hunters they have heard.
Ever try a lost deer call, or an Alaskan deer call? Sometimes you just have to try something different and it will amaze you.