Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Stand/Blind placement - How to access >

Stand/Blind placement - How to access

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stand/Blind placement - How to access

Old 08-28-2019, 12:04 PM
Spike

Default Stand/Blind placement - How to access

I’ve attached a picture of the land I have rights to hunt this year. The 2 red marks indicate the current stands that are off trails. The yellow mark indicates where I’m considering a blind placement.

I will be bow hunting only on this property, roughly 35 acres. The fields are all Soy Bean fields and I’ve had signs everywhere. However the camera I had placed had the as card taken. I fully expect it was the adjoining property owner that wondered over and I’ve didn’t see the camera until it was too late.

My questions are..

What’s a good plan of action to access the stands/blind locations if I can only access them from the road middle left of the picture? I have almost no choice but to walk through the field.

Also, any other input on possible locations for other stands or blinds? North is straight up obviously..

thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Stand/Blind placement - How to access-303a41bd-8775-4128-9b95-2d6baf5a0253.jpeg  
Old 08-28-2019, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

On 35 acres you're going to have to use the field edge. The woods/brush is too small to use. If you go in there you'll push stuff out.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:55 AM
Spike

Agree - that northern edge of the field is probably the best way in. Go in early, slowly, and quietly

Maybe place another stand or blind much closer to the western end of the property (maybe 100 feet from the road, if regulations allow) in order to disrupt as little as possible on your way in.

Last edited by blsjds; 08-29-2019 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Let the deer tell you where to set up. Scout for deer sign, look for places where trails intersect or or areas where the land causes the deer to use a natural trail. Set up just inside the wooded areas a few feet from the fields.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Cincycreech
..... However the camera I had placed had the as card taken. I fully expect it was the adjoining property owner that wondered over and I’ve didn’t see the camera until it was too late.

Can you elaborate please?

Old 08-29-2019, 09:51 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by RaySendero
Can you elaborate please?
I set up a camera off a main trail on the property and the SD card was stolen out of the camera. I set it up with my 4 year old son (first experience in the woods) 100% positive camera was on and SD card was in. Went to retrieve the camera a week later with my son, who talked about everyday how excited he was to see it. Walked back to the spot and the camera was turned off and SD card was gone. What makes me believe it was a neighbor is he left the camera.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Yep sounds like someone didn't want their pictures taken.

I've had cards taken and the cameras turned around before.

-Jake
Old 08-30-2019, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Cincycreech

I set up a camera off a main trail on the property and the SD card was stolen out of the camera. I set it up with my 4 year old son (first experience in the woods) 100% positive camera was on and SD card was in. Went to retrieve the camera a week later with my son, who talked about everyday how excited he was to see it. Walked back to the spot and the camera was turned off and SD card was gone. What makes me believe it was a neighbor is he left the camera.
How about setting that camera up high - like 10-12' ?
Maybe angle it down so it tilt will sense movement.

Last edited by RaySendero; 08-30-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

IME this could be more of problem than your attributing.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

With 35 acres and the lay of this land, you have very little choice. I usually walk straight to the stand at a fast pace that won't make me sweat. I've tried walking through creeks and the "end around" to avoid fields. But, I make as much if not more noise as I do walking directly to the stand. Whatever I scare, I scare. I am likely going to scare them anyway. So, might as well get into the stand as quickly as possible to minimize the disruption at let things settle down. The field should be quieter walking than the woods. If anything, stay near the field edge so as not to silhouette yourself as much.

That being said, I would definitely avoid a known bedding area at all costs.