HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer / 6mm question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/163728-deer-6mm-question.html)

tazman7 11-06-2006 07:13 PM

Deer / 6mm question

Just wondering if you were to shoot a deer in the gut or some non vital area with a 6mm from 300 yards with a hollow point bullet would it hop off like nothing ever happened?

tazman7 11-06-2006 08:50 PM

RE: Deer / 6mm question

Wouldnt it blow out the other side in alot bigger of a hole being that its a hollow point?

deerslayer223 11-06-2006 09:08 PM

a gut shot is a vital hit if the animal is left lay. They could hop off and not act like they were hit but it's very doubtful. There probably was some kind of reaction but at that range you didnt notice it. Being that it's a hollow point it probably never exited the deer. It probably has fragmented all through. A exit hole is very doubtful

tazman7 11-06-2006 09:18 PM

I checked every inch of our property and the neighbors for 2 hours and dint find any sign of blood, hair nothing....looked by the creek and nothing-

I think I may have missed because it sounded like it hit a branch or something and hit every tree in the woods- Sounded like somebody took a handful of rocks and threw them against a building or something....

cpsniper05 11-06-2006 09:23 PM

I think you may have answered your own question,

tazman7 11-06-2006 09:26 PM

I think I may have missed, at least I hope I did-I dont know for sure though- Im sure you guys know the feeling of really not knowing.....time to get back out there in the stand and hope that big buck comes back healthy as ever

nchawkeye 11-07-2006 01:14 PM

I have never hit a deer in the guts with my .243...But I will say that when I recover a deer and I don't hit exactly where I was aiming....I check the gun...Take your rifle and set up a 300 yard shot, you can do it out of the stand that you were in so your rest and everything else will be the same...Do this in the middle of the day and you won't spook any deer in the area....Shoot 3 shots and then go look at the target...This will tell you if your gun is a 300 yard shooter...I will say...I believe only about 5 -10% of the hunters out there are capable of shooting a 6 inch group out of their deer rifle, at 300 yards under actual hunting conditions...

If the hollow point you were using is the Sierra GameKing 85gt HPBT....I have shot several deer in the 225-275 yard range with my .243...The specific loading was the Federal Premium...I can tell you, that bullet, driven at 3300 + or - muzzle velocity does a very good job at these ranges...

tazman7 11-07-2006 04:06 PM

Well I did exactly that today- but I measured out 350 yards and shot- from the center of the target it was 2" low and to the left 1" that could have easily been me though---- Thenj I went to my hunting ground and measured it out and it turned out being 450 yards---- the ground is uneven but it looked a hell of alot closer then that- i learned my lesson on this one...

zrexpilot 11-07-2006 05:35 PM

My friend pictured here took this Monster with a .243to the gut. Deer ran off. When we questioned him he said the deer kicked and ran, so we knew he hit it. After searching and searching we found a speck of blood. searched the whole ranch and found him finaly, about 5 hours after the shot.
A tear to any part of the intestine will keep bleeding, it will not stop.