Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Here we go again!!

Old 11-06-2006, 09:54 AM

Default Here we go again!!

Well Ill start by saying it sounds like deer season around is going to be about like the rest,,, deer dogging!! I dont want to start fights or try to knock people who hunt deer with dogs(legally). In Missouri, it is not legal to hunt deer with dogs, but in some areas especially very rural, a lot of peoplestill run deer with dogs anyway. They seem to have it figured out, since they dont seem to get caught, I dont know if the wardens just look the other way or what, but they do it every year from Sept until Jan, but heavily during the rifle season. Some even go as far as take out ads in the paper list "Dogs Lost" so they have bases covered it a warden finde their dogs, it was an "accident" Some are also members of a club or association in which, if they do get caught running deer and get ticketed, the association will pay their fines and court costs, so they arent out anything! I hear all about this crap every year as I work with a lot of guys who do this very thing,, they dont own land and run on public land or turn dogs into private land, and hunt the roads surrounding private land and wait for the deer to cross roads, and shoot them there(also illegal). I dont understand why they never get caught, I read lots of post about dogs and deer, and most couldnt comprehend what its like here, Im not a dog shooter, and do know what all of my neighbors pet dogs look like, but isnt it a little ridiculous for someone to own literally over 100 dogs for this purpose. They call them Coyote hounds, and some actually are,, but some arent. Sorry for the long post, but just had to vent!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Here we go again!!

I hear ya angus, I live about 1.5 to 2 hours north of you so all I ever hear about deer dogging is rumors of it in your area and south, don't have any advice considering you said you weren't a dog shooter(except coyote hounds could be mistaken for coyotes pretty easily.) Good luck on the 11th.