Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to wear?

Old 11-05-2006, 12:39 AM

Default What to wear?

I see all of the new camoproducts out there and read the reviews. I'd like to hear from people that are not in the business of selling something. Tell me,is all this stuffreally neccessary? My parents and grandparents had everyday clothes, red plaid wool coats, and old work boots and they seemed to do just fine. Does investing in the latest and greatest camo outfit really make a difference?
Old 11-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What to wear?

I can't speak for bow hunting, but clearly camo is not necessary for ALL rifle hunting. Where I hunt I position myself in a ground blind among trees overlooking a trail. I locate where I'm in shadows, there is clutter behind me breaking up my outline, there is clutter in front of me screening my legs and lower torso, I wear a face net I buy cheap from WalMart to keep my face from "flashing" as I turn my head, and when I move I move slow. I hunt with the wind in my face. In these circumstances how much difference would wearing camo make? Last year I hunted in a red-plaid flannel shirt and green dockers and took two deer -- a doe and a buck, my bag limit in Oklahoma. The previous three years, while wearing camoflage, I only took 1 deer each season. Not statistically relevant, I know.

As you point out, how were hunters able to take deer years ago before the various camo patterns emerged?

Use your head. Other factors of hunting dominate over camoflage.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I'm deer hunting, I have two main "outfits [8D]" One is a pair of black fleece pants and heavyorange fleece parka. My other isa matching set of red/black plaidMackinaw wool pants/jacket. For footwear 90% of the time, I buy a $40 pair of green rubber boots with liners and call it good. The other 10% of the time (earlier in the year), I use a pair of leather work boots. As far as I know, I've never spooked a deerbecause of whatI've been wearing. When I sit, I find the most important thing to do is try to break up your outline and stayupwind of the animal. The fanciest camo in the world won't help you if the wind isn't in your favour.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

No camo here in rifle season, just bow and muzzleloader. I wear predator brand camo because it actually does something to break up your outline vs a blob. During rifle when I don't wear camo I make sure I have backing etc to help take away the blob appearance. IMO outline breakup is what works,some camo patterns do this while others are a blend style of which I have no use for.