Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 30 minutes of pure enjoyment!!! >

30 minutes of pure enjoyment!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

30 minutes of pure enjoyment!!!

Old 11-02-2006, 11:24 AM

Default 30 minutes of pure enjoyment!!!

Well, I finally scored on Sunday, 10-29-06. I skated on having to go shopping with the wife and kids and hit the woods at 4:00 pm. I have been getting busted with the location of my bait pile over the past few weeks. I am sure it was too close to my stand but, I left it alone and dropped some apples down the trail about 10 yards and hit the tree. I sat there for about an hour, seeing nothing. At about 5:00 pm, at the top of the hill walks out (4) does. The look around for about 10 min. then beet feet down the hill (away from me) and look back to where I am. I know there is no way for them to see me or scent me (wind in the face). I sit there watch them and out of the corner of my eye, I see a 6 point walk out where the does were. He proceeds to beet the heck of of a tree then spots the does. Off to the races they went. I know they are still in the area and just hang for a while. Next thing I know, (2) does come in. They come up the trail straight in my face. Take turns eating the corn and watching my stand. I can't move or look at them. All of a sudden, I hear stomping behind me. I know that I have now been busted (down wind of me). I can't turn to look, just listen. Every time it stomps the does look up, then go back to eating. This goes on for at least 10 min. I can't stand it. Heart racing, muscles tense, eyes closed. I keep cracking my eye lids to check on the does. I decided it was getting dark and if a shot is presented, I'm taking it. Well, the does finally move down trail to the apples. Both, quartering away. I draw, aim, and let my hopes and dreams fly. The arrow hits a twig on the way and I see my doe run off with my hope and dreams sticking out of it's hind quarter. Up the hill it runs and looks back at me. I know it was a bad hit and know that I have a long night ahead of me. I have a buisness trip scheduled for Monday afternoon. I have to find it tonight. I sit in my stand for 15 min. then sneak out and call my buddies.
They will be out in 45 min. I decided to fire up the Colman and see what I can see. I find no blood at the point of impact. I walk up the hill to the place she looked back at me and "bingo" blood everywhere. Bright red and a trail a blind man could follow, no offence. Trailed her for 30 yards and there she laid, piled up in the weeds under a bush. I walk up and check her out. A button buck! Nubs where just bumps. Couldn't see them, you could only feel them. Well, we dressed "HIM" and loaded here up. Made the trip on Monday and processed him on Holloween, after trick or treaten. What a "treat" for dad. I know it was a bad hit and that little twig will be removed before the next hunt but, after being in the tree for at least (15) times and my first year. I shot him, tracked him, dressed him, and shared it with the boys, 12 and 9. I have now popped my cherry and the pressure is off. I will never forget every second of this hunt and the "hook" is now set even deeper. Gonna be backstraps and Michigan football on Saturday afternoon with my family and buddies. I can't imagin an better day. Thanks for listening. Sorry for so long but, it was my first deer.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30 minutes of pure enjoyment!!!

That sounds sweet! Congrats on your button buck! I bet he'll do good for steak on the grill when the Wolverines are playing.

When you say "I got my cherry popped", I don't think that's an apporpriate statement for HNI. In case you don't know, it has a sexual conotation. I wouldn't use that statement if I were you.

Congrats on the deer,again.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:44 AM

Sorry to all!!!!!!

I had not intent to offend anyone. Please forgive my stupidity.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:47 PM

Great job!! And good story!! I am so psyched to hunt, our season opens Nov 4th. so 2 days left to go

Old 11-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and a great job But we do need pictures
Old 11-02-2006, 03:22 PM

Hey wrightshot,

Congrats, and welcome to the brotherhood. I like the story. I like the fact that you acknowledge the bad shot ( not intentional ) , but you still made the recovery.

But to be honest, what I liked even more was the way you have conducted yourself in this thread. In your story you made an off color comment. Younggun.243 replied to you about it being inappropriate, and instead of getting any attitude, you apologized, and made ammends.

For what it's worth, I appreciate that, and you have earned my respect.
( not that you needed to, but you have ). I welcome you to HNI, I hope you enjoy the site.

Good hunting and be safe,

God Bless

B.T.W. - I would ask what address you are at so I could be there in time for the backstrap and football, but I have a sneaky suspicion that I would wind up getting my butt kicked when I tried to preempt Michigan for the ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS BEATING THE CRAP OUT OF SOUTH CAROLINA !!!! GO HOGS!!
Old 11-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations, and welcome to the forums.

I really can't figure out if younggun was serious, or just busting your chops, I've heard alot worse on here
Old 11-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cmon why is "I got my cherry popped" so bad if your offended by that you need to get out more!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: younggun243

When you say "I got my cherry popped", I don't think that's an apporpriate statement for HNI.
Naw, it really isn't, but we know what he meant. Anyhow... does this mean I can't talk about Bore Butter, Nipple Grease, and my Ramrod? Or do I have to head over to the Muzzleloading section for that?

Congrats on the deer, wrightshot!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL HAHAHA you can talk about that stuff here too BTW how long is your ram rod HAHAHAHA i think they come in a standard size right and what lube do you use bore butter or nipple greas?

Quick Reply: 30 minutes of pure enjoyment!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.