Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bait

Old 11-02-2006, 09:10 AM

Default Bait

In Georgia the law states that you have to be at least 200 yards away and out of the line of sight of bait. My question is what would be considered bait? Of course corn, apples and the like are, but would new supplements like Comere Deer, deer cane or even a mineral lick be considered bait?

My position is that anything that is thrown out and not naturally grown on the land is considered bait. My roomate and I got into a debate about it and i just wanted to see what yall thought about it.

Not trying to start a thread about whether or not baiting is ethical or not, just want to know what yall would consider bait. Sorry if it causes a problem. Thanks fellas.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bait

It doesn't matter what we consider bait but rather what your state DNR consider as baiting! You should check your local regs, if vague call them to clarify what the "definition of bait" means to them via the letter of the law.

Then no debating onde' baitin' issue....
Old 11-02-2006, 09:34 AM

Here in Indiana, this is what our hunting reg. says about baiting.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

What good is it gonna do if you gotta be that far away from it ?
Here in Michigan we can use carrots , sugar beets apples and corn but we gotta spread it out in a ten foot circel , there's nothing saying how far we have to be from it .
Old 11-02-2006, 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Cleetus

See I wish the Georgia rule book would be as clear as Indiana. Without it being put in writing, it all comes down to a game wardens personal definition, and what one warden says is fine could get you in trouble in another warden's eye.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BYRD250

See I wish the Georgia rule book would be as clear as Indiana. Without it being put in writing, it all comes down to a game wardens personal definition, and what one warden says is fine could get you in trouble in another warden's eye.
The letter of the law is Black and White, find out what the wildlife act says in regards to baiting and you'll have your answer. Regs are a guidline they don't give every detail but a law must be written in such matter that their is left no questions to what is legal and what is not for the justice system. All have a complete form available but few will wade through the several hundred pages of legal jargon to find out whats between the lines. The Judge and lawyers will though, so it is your responsibility to obtain this information and stay within the context of the laws.

What your speaking of is CO/Warden "discretion" a grey area! They can not proscute past the arm of the law so if you know the laws and are within them it makes discretion moot. Outside the context of the law your opening your self up for trouble b/c you are in fact breaking laws which means your liable for your actions and hedging on "discretion" going in your favor.

MAKE THE CALL and put your mind and debate at ease.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

So if it is not spread on the ground, by that definition, it is not bait.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:30 AM

LOL...And I can use drips and scent bombs all around my tree and that is okay. I guess you can't temp a buck with food, but you can with the smell of sex.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: USFWC

No, under that definition it has to be a food product placed in the field for consumption to attract wildlife. The "on the ground" items are just "examples". The regulation doesn't say that the examples are exclusive of other items.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:42 AM

Wait a minute here... so in Indiana, if I wanted to put out carrots or apples or acorns or something of THAT nature I could do it? I'm confused. I thought we couldn't put ANYTHING out that wasn't natural to that habitat, as in growing naturally???

I am not an advocate of baiting anyway, but that threw me for a loop, wha does that statement from the IDNR mean? Carrots, apples, acorns, etc... are okay?

Quick Reply: Bait

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.