Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When a plan comes together

Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 AM

Default When a plan comes together

I was a big fan of the A-Team and Hannabal Smith, so hence the title. What I was curious about, was the stories others may have of planning and preparing to take a particular deer or hunt a particular spot and ending up having things fall in place the way you hoped and bagging a good one?
I have yet to really have a plan come together, but have been able to set-up myself up on occassion in a very good situation, only to have something come up and prevent closing on the deal.
Thanks ahead of time.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: When a plan comes together

I once had planned a small "drive" through a long stand of planted pines that the deer liked to use for cover and also as a travel route from hardwoods 'A' to hardwoods 'B'. I put my wife in the woods on the far end and I stood behind a christmas tree out in a field that bordered the pines. My friend walked slowly through the pines, zig-zagging back and forth across the rows. About 5 minutes after he went in, I heard branches snapping, and then a nice buck came loping out the side across the field right at me. I dropped him at about 50 yards with my .308. He was the biggest buck I've ever taken - a mature 7 point with a heavy rack. About a minute later I heard my wife's rifle bark (a 7x57), and upon checking, she had shot a nice doe that came out the end.
I also love it when a plan comes together!