Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Decoys

Old 11-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default Decoys

Have you ever used a deerdecoy?
Would you recommend them?

I have never used one but always wanted to.

Good luck.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Decoys

I've used a Renzos doe decoy a few times, and had deer of both sexes approach it. As with anything else, use the wind strategically, and assume that bucks will try to approach it from behind, so place it accordingly.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

i don't think deer decoys are legal here in wisconsin.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

I was just going to post this same thread because I've been decoying for the last couple of days. The results have been pretty entertaining to say the least. P.O.'eddoes, horny bucks andcoyotes looking for a meal. It really makes your calling and scentsmore effective. They actually have something physical to relate them to and the best part is that thedecoy keeps their attention off of you.I have just been using my archery target without the antlers. I can't wait to take it out again...with the antlers and get some video footage of this. Could be seeing my target getting mauled!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:01 AM
usa
Fork Horn

The're another tool to use , it makes for an interesting hunt, forget the Renzo decoys they look like a cardboard cutout with plastic parts that you can't keep track of !
Old 11-02-2006, 06:12 AM

As with anything else, use the wind strategically, and assume that bucks will try to approach it from behind, so place it accordingly.
So are you saying place it so the end is facing the wind or away from the wind?
Old 11-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Cleetus

As with anything else, use the wind strategically, and assume that bucks will try to approach it from behind, so place it accordingly.
So are you saying place it so the end is facing the wind or away from the wind?
Always place the decoy upwind of you. If it is a doe decoy, place it facing away from you. If it is a buck, place it facing somewhat toward you, but not directly at you. Deer tend to look in the direction of other deer and you don't want them focused on where you are sitting. This is especially important if the decoy you are using has its ears up and forward.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:16 AM

You want buck decoys to face the way deer are coming or slightly across your sight angle...so the buck comes in broadside. Doe; just make sure they're not looking at you. Buck decoys: use buck sent...ever see the clips on this site or tv where a big buck demolishes a decoy?!

Yes, we can use decoy in WI.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:25 AM

I got the one called the grazing doe,by flambeau i think.. sometimes it works but most of the time it spooks the does ,gets them to blowin and stompin even with a tail wagger the same results,kind of like turkey decoys that spook big toms and make them hang up ,,I have deer hung up across the field wondering what the hells wrong with that motionless deer, but on tv they work great.. go figure...
Old 11-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Sometimes these things have a scent all their own that needs to wear off or you may have it covered with your own scent. Wiping it down with rubbing alcohol can get it pretty human scent free and it evaporates away quickly. If those does still act wierd about your decoy and blow at it, put 'em in your freezer.

ORIGINAL: swamp rooster

I got the one called the grazing doe,by flambeau i think.. sometimes it works but most of the time it spooks the does ,gets them to blowin and stompin even with a tail wagger the same results,kind of like turkey decoys that spook big toms and make them hang up ,,I have deer hung up across the field wondering what the hells wrong with that motionless deer, but on tv they work great.. go figure...

Quick Reply: Decoys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.