Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How big of a hole?

Old 10-31-2006, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default How big of a hole?

Hey guys,
I am heading north for rifle season in a few weeks and this will be my first time using a rifle seeing as we are only allowed shotguns here in MA. I will be using a .30-06 and was wondering what the entrance and exit wound will look like on a deer using 150gr bullets. Anyone have any pics?????
Jim
Old 10-31-2006, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How big of a hole?

i have pictures of a .270 they are about just the same depends on what kind of ammo you are using and where you shoot it but they won't load on this site sorry
Old 10-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: crew

i have pictures of a .270 they are about just the same depends on what kind of ammo you are using and where you shoot it but they won't load on this site sorry
Posting Photos - A Tutorial

Old 10-31-2006, 05:36 PM

The entery is only about 1/2-3/4inch wide and the exit if you dont hit any bone usually only 1-2inches if you hit bone on the way out it can be about 2-3inches. Not much meat lost if you hit behind the shoulder in the lungs but if you hit the shoulder you tend to usually loss meat off the should and sometimes the whole shoulder if you hit the bone and it explodes.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not this big.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:06 PM

As mentioned it depends on placement, but as much on distance and bullet design. If the deer are close expect a lot bigger hole. Most of the deer I shot with my '06 were with 180 grain PSP corelokts, and all were less than 100 yards. Most of the holes were big enough to almost put my fist through and hit a few rib bones on the exit.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Criggster

Most of the deer I shot with my '06 were with 180 grain PSP corelokts, and all were less than 100 yards. Most of the holes were big enough to almost put my fist through and hit a few rib bones on the exit.
I had the same problem now i use 150 grain remington boat tails and they tend to do alot less damage when you hit a deer therefore less wasted meat. So just as a suggestion you may want to try the smaller grains out for the deer but just a suggestion.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had the same problem now i use 150 grain remington boat tails and they tend to do alot less damage when you hit a deer therefore less wasted meat. So just as a suggestion you may want to try the smaller grains out for the deer but just a suggestion.
Your sayinga BT (Accutip is none other than a Hornady SST in green packaging)bullet designed for rapid expansion moving on average 200 fps(according to rem factory ballistics)faster than corelokt sp 180 gr creates less damage? Very odd. I have never used corelokts on game but have seen some who have and they behave just like PP in my opinion. I have used the BT for many years in a variety of shot/calibers it is a devasting round interms of terminal performance, though a smaller wound channel isn't one I have witnessed. Of course I assume your talking same shot selection, gameand range to do your comparison. Interesting findings!!

No mention of what 150 gr bullet so pretty hard to give you anythingreal closeon what you can expect. Shot placement, bullet design and velocity of impact (range) are what determines what type of holes you'll receive.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Please - Not for weak stomach -BEWARE!

7 mm mag

Old 10-31-2006, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Please - Not for weak stomach -BEWARE!

idk but it looks like that buck got hit with something besides a 7mm because of the sheer size of the hole. It looks like it almost just had the hide ripped off

Quick Reply: How big of a hole?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.