Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Almost had him, or did I?

Old 10-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default Almost had him, or did I?

Well,I just got back from hunting.I wasnt in the stand 30 minutes and the 8 point we thoght would be there showed up.As I saw him go out of the woods,he must have thoght something was up so he didnnt go to the feeder.So as he walked towards the woods he was almost gone.So I had to take a quaering away shot.When I shot his hindquarter kicked up and he turned and with his shoulder hounched up he walked away.Me and my father searched for 4 hours and couldnt find him.So we are going to go back in the morning and try again.The way I see it,If hes dead in the woods,there will be buzzards,if he is still alive,he will probobly come back to the feeder we have seen him at every day.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:42 PM

Default RE: Almost had him, or did I?

Sounds like he is gut shot by the way he acted

Hope you find him
Old 10-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

When I went looking I saw a litle bit of blood near where I shot him and that was it.Do you still think I gut shot him or maybe I flesh shot him?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:37 PM

Everytime I've seen one gut shot they kick like a mule then run off hunched over. Don't bleed a whole lot. Best thing to do is not push him too hard. If it is cool enough he'll lay down and die if he isn't pushed and the meat won't spoil. Let me know how it ends up.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Based on the hunch and walk off I'd agree it does sound you where back on him. Blood means nothing, any wound can produce blood on the dirt. Being the 1/4 away angle it is very possible you also hit the liver or even rear lobe of the opposite lung. The mule kick means nothing either to me, I have seen heart/lung shot deer do this as well.

Unfortunately, if gut shot you can right off the meat. A couple of hours sure but 4 of searching then stewing all night....it'll be nasty.

Hope you find him, good luck.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

Well this morning I went back and sat in he stand and nothing came so I got on the ATV and as I was about to cross the creek,him and a doe came running by.They were bedded in the field on the other side of the woods where I shot him!Guess Ill try again next weekend.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

By the way one of the reasons I was behind was probabaly because I didnt have time to sight in my rifle.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Icetrey

By the way one of the reasons I was behind was probabaly because I didnt have time to sight in my rifle.
Sorry to hear this, if you didn't have time to sight in your rifle, you didn't have time to hunt! I hope your were kidding, hence the smiley face?????
Old 11-01-2006, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'm so sick of reading crap like that
Old 11-01-2006, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

did you find your arrow??? thats is going to tell you where you hit him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.