Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
neck
2.27%
shoulder
10.23%
right behind the shoulder
85.23%
gutt shot
2.27%
other
0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Where do u shoot a deer?

Old 10-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Where do u shoot a deer?

who voted gut shot?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

Right about there!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-27-2006, 08:55 PM

I've heard of people taking shots at the neck, may I ask why? Is it a good shot, all there is, is an artery. Wouldn't one have to track blood all night?
Old 10-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to stay out of the shoulder. About 1/3 of the way down from the top and midway on the body works pretty good. Just stay out of the backstrap.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're very sure about your shot, a neck shot will put 'em down where they stand. A friend of mine always went for the neck. It is a deadly shot.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

who voted gut shot?
I think people were just goofing off! I don't know why that's even an option on this poll.

I go right behind the shoulder.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

I usally shoot in the rite in the shoulder , but this year I want to try the white spot on the neck with the .300
Old 10-28-2006, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot mine in the woods lol.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunting: Lungs- broadside or quartering away. Too much drop and chance of hitting something else to aim anywhere else.

Gun hunting: Lungs- broadside, quartering away, and quartering towards. (Still the fastest drop and biggest margin for error, regardlessof weapon.)
If a shot to the lungs includes blowing through the shoulder, that's what I'll do, unless it looks like I may get a better shot if I wait.

Although a gunshot to the neckcan drop a deer by way of hydrostatic shock, they can get up again and run off if you missed the spine, and may survive if you missedthe carotid arteryand windpipe. Too much chance of a mere flesh wound for me, especially with a bow.

I voted for 'Behind the shoulder', but for new guys I'll clarify thatit means right behind the shoulder bone, and that bone does NOT come straight up from the deer's leg, like somedeer targets erroniously show.

Both of these following targets are good, but I have an old one at home (not pictured)that I had to modify because it showed the shoulder bone in a vertical position in line withthe point of the deer's leg. That old target might have trained some new bowhunters to aim too far back in fear of hitting a shoulder bone that wasn't there. Notice that the point of the deer's leg is halfway back in the available lung area on a broadside shot.

[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]

Quick Reply: Where do u shoot a deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.