Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shooting deer in the shoulder

Old 10-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: shooting deer in the shoulder

Exactly like the diagram!!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:12 PM
bigcountry

Shoulder shots can be risky. You use a bullet not up for the task or the bullet really up for the tast but changes direction while in the cavity, or you hit a tad low, and you got a tripod on your hands. And a tripod can go far and not leave a great blood trail. Its a silly shot IMO. One gun that is up to the task is a 45-70 with 405gr hard cast. Not too fast, won't break up, and bet ya will usually will not shift direction. I shot a sika last week with a muzzleloader broadsided in the lungs, and that crazy bullet came out near the front of the shoulder. I was shocked. It fell instantly. But that goes to show how a bullet can tumble and change.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot deer in the shoulder by accident, and yes its a mess, but they dropped on the spot. I always try a lung shot on bucks if possible. I have not loss a deer or had them go more than 50 feet after a lung shot.On does, theneckabove of the shoulder, or aheadshot if its less than 75yds. The 30-06 in 180 grain is way to much bullet for the smaller deer common to our region,the 150 is great. The 243 is not a good bullet for a shoulder shot. The 7 mag i shoot now armed with 140 gr. does a real clean job, but it is all about shot placement regardless of the rifle.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:46 PM

after blowing the leg 'lower"off a doe with a very poor shoot from my 12ga.last fallthe deer ran all the way across a 40 ac corn field before it droped still alive any ??????? aim fo the vitals and make a good shot
Old 10-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

try for the vitals but that shot will drop them like a rock
Old 10-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: lethalconnection

I used a 30-06, 180 gr. bullet
Holy smokes how far of a shot was it and how much of the deer was left. I know i shot a deer with a 30.06 with a 180grain bullet at 50 yds and i thought i blew the thing in half thats why i stick to 150 now.
I use 180 gr. power point plus out of a 30-06 and never lose too much meat but I like to aim right behind the shoulder to avoid shattering the scapula and sending pieces of it flying throughout my deer meat.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

My son hit a deer 2 years ago in the shoulders, he was aiming just behind the shoulderbut this was around a 220 yd shot. He was using my 243 with 100 gr hornady's. The deer ran about 80 yds. It blew through both shoulders breaking both bones and the deer still ran that far. It did leave a blood trail a blind man could follow though. Deer do some wired things sometimes. Other deer we have taken with the same gun with behind the shoulder shots have only ran from 0-40 yds. The only other deer that has gone this far was one I shot with the .243, it was a perfect heart shot and she went 100 yds. My younger son took one last year with the same .243. He made a high shoulder shot at a 190 yds and anchored the deer immediate. Broke the spine but needed a follow up shot as the deer couldnt get up but was still trying too, I just couldnt see it suffer anymore. By the way after 25 years with the .243 I nor we have ever lost one, these are just some of the weird examples.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Holy smokes how far of a shot was it and how much of the deer was left. I know i shot a deer with a 30.06 with a 180grain bullet at 50 yds and i thought i blew the thing in half thats why i stick to 150 now.
180 gr bullet should do less damage then a comparable 150 gr bullet. The amount of damage a bullet does is related to its construction/design and impact velocity. Ie: hit a deer in the shoulder at 50 yardswith powerpoint expect a lot of damage however hit that same spot and deer with Barnes TSX and the damage is dramatically reduced. So unless you have changed your 150 bullet/style from the 180's you may finda flaw in your theory.

As far as the high shoulder shot, it is a grapefruit sized target. Hit boththe deer won't take a step but may twitch a little. Only get one and they'll probably run. On a broadside I prefer the lower 1/3 behind the front leg. 1/4 away I like the high lung out the opposite shoulder.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: lethalconnection

I used a 30-06, 180 gr. bullet
holy smoke... if you think that... then my 35 Whelen AI must vaporize the poor critters honestly... wound path damage probably has more to do with bullet construction than weight...

Quick Reply: shooting deer in the shoulder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.