Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer Hunter Sentenced In Fatal Shooting >

Deer Hunter Sentenced In Fatal Shooting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunter Sentenced In Fatal Shooting

Old 10-26-2006, 02:59 PM

Default Deer Hunter Sentenced In Fatal Shooting

From new article:

Fergus Falls: Hunter Sentenced In Fatal Shooting
A 33-year-old Vargas man was sentenced to one year in jail this week in the death of his cousin in what is described as a hunting accident, the Fergus Falls Daily Journal reported. The sentence comes on a first-degree manslaughter charge, and was a downward departure from guidelines because the judge said Kevin Wischnak was drunk and didn't intentionally shoot Tony Wischnak, 24

This happened in MN I live in the next town. Story goes he was hammered from the night before and they where driving the woods not watching where he was shooting.

BAD BAD BAD

Old 10-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Hunter Sentenced In Fatal Shooting

Always hate to hear of such tragedies. My heart hurts for the family.

Let this be a lesson to all (especially you younger bucks out there!)- it is never a good idea to mix guns with alcohol. It should not ever be looked upon as "just" a deer camp thing. A couple cold ones to celebrate after the day winds down and the weapons are safely and securely put away. But never a couple cold ones and then picking up a weapon.

Do the smart thing and don't hunt with those types. Heck, to me hunting is one of the most incredible highs there is. All the good highs can come w/o drugs or alcohol.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:07 PM

well said uncle matt.

I don't drink much during the season. Usually have a few drinks after the deer is hanging.....but that is about it. The sport alone gives a great feeling and that is all I need
Old 10-27-2006, 03:07 PM
CDG

Is that Vergas,MN? Not Vargas? We use to go fishing in Vergas on long lake up until about 8 yrs ago. Little town hard to believe something like that happened.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: upnorthmn

Kevin Wischnak was drunk
And there you have it. Don't drink if you are going to be handling a firearm.

I think the sentence was too short. I wonder if the judge only hands out 1 year sentences if some drunk gets behind the wheel of his car and kills someone in a traffic accident.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:42 PM

really hate it for the family, but if alcohol was a factor,he should have got alot more
Old 10-30-2006, 06:57 AM

Yep, thats Vergas MN. Typo error.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

He only got 1 year for killing someone while intoxicated. This is bogus and unjust..... Maybe 10 to 15 years would suit his sentence even if it's an accident plus he never should of been drinking while handling a gun. This will just tell others that it's okay to drink and hunt (even it's illegal) and if I accidently shoot and kill someone, I'll just get 1 year in jail because it's an accident. You should take full responsible for your action when drinking and he should get full, max sentence for what he did.My heart goes to the family that decease. For the guy that shot him, hope they never give him the previlage to hunt and own another gun.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's sends a great message if your drunk and you kill someone we'll reduce the jail time. Isn't it exactly different if you kill someone in your car?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:29 AM

That's sends a great message if your drunk and you kill someone we'll reduce the jail time. Isn't it exactly different if you kill someone in your car?
I totally agree!!! I am sure all the drunk drivers who have killed someone didn't mean too. Not defending drunk drivers by no means, just kind of silly how a judge willgive a guy a lesser sentence because he was drunk and didn't mean to shoot someone, but a guy while drunk driving a car gets in an accident and kills someone he is sent to jail for 10 to 15 years.

Quick Reply: Deer Hunter Sentenced In Fatal Shooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.