Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Advice on where to buy land?

Old 10-26-2006, 04:11 AM

Default Advice on where to buy land?

I just signed a 25 year lease for a cell phone tower to be hosted on the corner of my property. Our plan is to use the funds from this to buy some property somewhere that we can eventially build on when we retire. I currently live in Maryland on 12 acres about 20 miles from Washington D.C. and land prices around here,anywhere in southernMD,are kinda high (my wife is a real estate agent so we have direct access to listings in MD).My wife of course is pushing for something on the water on a river down in VA. I was thinking about somewhere in the middle of the country where land prices would be cheaper, the deer bigger, and the people not so numerous........but something preferablyat close to a mid-size town. Any ideas?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Advice on where to buy land?

Try Southern Indiana within 30-45 minutes of Louisville , Kentucky . You can buy a lot more land and house there than what you'd spend in Virginia , the taxes are probably lower , and the Louisville area is a very nice place to live and work . Median value of housing in this area is still less than $200K , under $100K in some areas . Crime rate is low , schools are medium to good . Central location is another plus , and Louisville sits at the cross of two major interstates . The hunting and fishing are excellent , and there are plenty of other diversions within an easy drive .
Old 10-26-2006, 06:46 AM

If you can deal with the cold weather in the winter, I'd highly recommend Northern Minnesota. For 8 months out of the year, it is beautiful. For the other 4 months, it's cold, but there isn't many things better than a weekend afternoon ice fishing or riding a snowmobile through the trails in northern MN. If you are an outdoorsmen at all, the combination of 10,000+ lakes and the acres upon acres of national forest is a great resource to have.

We just recently bought some land near Leech Lake in Minnesota....It's one of the 5 biggest lakes in the state....You wouldn't believe all the deer on the 60 acres of land we bought. The first year hunting I harvested a 7-pointer with an 18 inch spread....I didn't think it was too bad since we hadn't even had time to scout out the area before hunting season.

Even though I'd like, at some point in my life, to experience other parts of the US, I can fully guarantee I will retire in Northern MN.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:16 AM

I would also pimp MN, as being a homer, but I guess you are looking to stay east coast area? I would look to move more north to Maine or something, and then try to convince your wife that you "need" to be some where "more country." Bottom line you can find plenty of affordable land, its a matter of deciding where you would like to live and then go from there.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Try NW Florida. You might not like the winters though, it got down to 30 two or three times last winter......And you can kill 200+ legal deer a year across the line in Bama.....
Old 10-26-2006, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion (and keep in mind it's just that, an opinion) I'd go to VA. I've lived in VA, WV, IL, TN, KS andCO. And by far I enjoyed VA the most. If you go the the Highland, Bath, Craig County area you can't get much more country than that and the land is pretty cheap. I bought 33 acres (all wooded)In Craig County for 65K and it's boardered on 3 sides by National Forest. That's my 2 cents...
Old 10-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

North Eastern Missouri or North Western Illinois might be a good option, not sure what land prices are but you'd be pretty close to St. Louis and the deer huntingis pretty good.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:41 PM

I gotta say MO, the huninng is good and you can still find land for 1000 dollars and acre around here.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:01 PM

ORIGINAL: SGTLOWE

I gotta say MO, the huninng is good and you can still find land for 1000 dollars and acre around here.
I see your $1,000 an acre in missery and lower you to $500-$700 an acre in the land of the biggens, 10,000 lakes and the home of the largest harvested whitetail in hx (500lbs).
Old 10-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

spur0701,

Not an issue. Sacred Southland has lately received awards, accolades, etc, etc. Florida in particular is becoming known more and more by the min for our whitetail programs. FSU just opened a whitetail specific studies curriculum. QDMA laughed when asked to relocate. Outdoor Channel. Whitetails diverting from the north like Mexicans in the night.

Basically, if you want fruitful land and abundant wildlife when you retire then you come to Florida and it is that simple. hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Advice on where to buy land?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.