Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What to do about a dozen deers that ate all my plants? (multiple pix) >

What to do about a dozen deers that ate all my plants? (multiple pix)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to do about a dozen deers that ate all my plants? (multiple pix)

Old 10-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What can I do about a big buck that ate all my plants? (the one in this photo below)

deer (plural: deer)

Some nouns don't change at all when they become plural. These include deer, fish, sheep, and species.
http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0886509.html

sorry, that just bugs me alot.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:48 PM

Default RE: What can I do about a big buck that ate all my plants? (the one in this photo below)

ORIGINAL: tj_cubin

sorry, that just bugs me alot.
sorry.... I'll stop calling them "deers" from now.

At least I don't have a meese problem like my aunt who live up north...

Something else that's ironic.... John Deere Company should thank these deers(sorry, hard for me to change). I used to mow the lawn with a walk-behind mower. Guess what, a lot of deers means a lot of deer droppings all over the lawn. I got so sick of stepping on the dropping, so I went out and bought a John Deere riding lawn tractor/mower.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:14 PM

Where are you located?

I doubt this is a park, considering the basketball goal, bird feeder, red work van, neighbors house in the background and the marble walk way to the front steps.

There are many ways to keep them out. Try you local garden store or try looking online and I am sure you can find the information you are looking for. I can't tell you from experiance because I am always trying to get deer like that to come to my place.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Tigerfan

Where are you located?

I doubt this is a park, considering the basketball goal, bird feeder, red work van, neighbors house in the background and the marble walk way to the front steps.

There are many ways to keep them out. Try you local garden store or try looking online and I am sure you can find the information you are looking for. I can't tell you from experiance because I am always trying to get deer like that to come to my place.

I did get those $34/bottle stuff from my local Home Depot. Got 8 bottles... All I can say is... money down the drain.... this is why I'm seeking advice here!
Old 10-27-2006, 04:50 AM

I'm sorry but I think that if there are that many deer in your neighboorhood you have a big over population problem. Any steps you take might keep them away from some of your landscaping and drive them to your neighboors for a whilebut they'll probably be back....adoe or two with a fawn each is one thing but that many ina neighboorhood, even one with estate size lots, there's just not enough food unless there are farms close by.I live in surburban MD, outside DC and you see the problem a lot around here. In one neigherboorhood I have hunted in Montgonery County, MD, the home owners have gone so far as to fence off all their shubs and flower beds with chicken wire and they even have a golf course next door with alternate food sources. I have even seen instances where home owners tried to put corn out to feed the deer in the hope they would spare the landscaping...but the deer like a variety. With no predators the only way to check the population is 1) starvation, 2) collisions with cars, 3) hunting....there have even been serious attempts to put out bait laced with contraceptives but they haven't beeneffective.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:53 AM

I agree with spur. you are looking for a band-aid when you and your neighbors need to be addressing the real issue. hunting in urban area's can be done just do a google search you will find plenty. get together with you neighbors and take action. I'm sure finding hunter's would not be a problem
Old 10-27-2006, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMO it is obviously not a park. Have to put spur and MN on my unobservant list . That looks like many houses right here around me. Hair clippings won't beeffective because obviously the deer are used to human smell. Letting the shepard out might have him running them off and possibly not coming back himself. Additionally, some peta neighbor may call the CPO or local cops and have her charged with molestation of wildlife. They (petas) would love that and put the press right on it I'm sure. Here in IL molestation of wildlifebasically means any interference with wildlife just doing what wildlife does. It basically founds itself on we have intruded into their world (and that is true).

Try the fox urine or you just may have to go with the motion activated sprinklers. But as already stated the problem is being band-aided and it appears that a controlled/limited hunt needs to be done in your community. I'm sure the other neighbors have been hit too. Getting these hunts going and actually reaching the point of where they will take place is a pain in the rear because the ignorant's minds have "bambi-ized". I recommend talking to everyone you possibly can in your community and it really helps if thoseaffected can come up with actual receipts for damaged flowers and plants (+ labor) or estimations to present at any hearings. Also for hearings a wildlife biologist who will actually present the issue of overpopulation (carrying capacity) should be looked into.

Just joking but that basketball hoop should be replaced each year around Oct. 1 with a nice deer stand!
Old 10-27-2006, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I did get those $34/bottle stuff from my local Home Depot. Got 8 bottles... All I can say is... money down the drain.... this is why I'm seeking advice here! [/quote]

Man! And deer tags around here are only $15 each.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What to do about a dozen deers that ate all my plants? (multiple pix)

Just cut up abour 10 bars of Irish Spring soap and spread it out in the yard ...once the rain or dew melts the soap it will leave a human scent for a long long time ..has worked for me a number of times ...might work for you to.

dd
Old 10-27-2006, 09:02 AM

Default RE: What to do about a dozen deers that ate all my plants? (multiple pix)

There is a local 'tree farm' in my hometown that does the irish spring trick. they cut the bars in half and hang them from each tree, seems to work, and the farm is near a lot of timber.

Also, just as your deer have gotten used to the human odor, they'll probably get used to whatever you decide to put out, so be ready to eventually change tactics.

Quick Reply: What to do about a dozen deers that ate all my plants? (multiple pix)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.