HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Stalked by bear while dragging dear out!!!!!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/16162-stalked-bear-while-dragging-dear-out.html)

mndeerslayer 11-15-2002 01:41 AM

Stalked by bear while dragging dear out!!!!!!!!

Something kinda wild happened to me tonight hunting,i went back to my fav. spot to get this big buck ive seen for years hiding back there,its in some really deep thickets and swamp,so its been hard to get him out,after a couple hours i can hear another deer walking around,(prob. smelling my doe pee all over)then the two bucks start fighting,one of the deers antlers got broke off,this is all happening about 30 feet from me but through some really thick s@%t!so i gave em a grunt they would stop and look but not come over,so i grunted like a mad buck,about 12 hucks in a row,and i got one to come close,he stared right at me for about 5 min.im standing up not wanting to spook him,eventually he looks away and i blasted him,tracked him and then gutted,im dragging my one antlered 3 point out,when i notice noise behind me like something walking with me,i thought no way the old wise one is still wandering around,a few more hundred yards,i had to stop from draggin the deer and all my gear was about killing me,then i look behind me and see what the noise has been,its a huge!!black bear,when i walked he would follow,when i stopped he stopped,this went on for awhile,untill i was way too tired,and pretty much couldnt go any farther without some help or rest,and i wasnt about to leave my deer there for the bear to grub on,so i sat with my deer looking at the bear look at me,i grabbed my cell and called a buddy down the road from where i was,he speed down and we were able to get my deer in the truck and all is good!!!The bear can have the gut pile,not my deer!lol

Striper Phil 11-15-2002 03:49 AM

RE: Stalked by bear while dragging dear out!!!!!!!!

Good story to bad bear weren't in season , by the way what state are you hunting in. let us know when you bag the big buck lots of luck Striper Phil

Starrman 11-15-2002 07:31 AM

mndeerslyer,
Great story! Were you hunting near Becker MN?

Starrman

Ron Starr

model722 11-15-2002 07:35 AM

There was a guy in the news awhile back. He was hunting in Russia(SP). He was standing next to a tree it was still early in the morning. A black bear smacked him side the head, and knocked him down. Then the bear bit over half his face off. He ripped 1 eye, his nose, 1 cheakbone, and his top jaw off. The guy never heard or smelt a thing before the bear attacked. The guy lived he crawled back to a farm were they helped him. Thats all the bear did ONE HIT AND ONE BITE!!! They really have alot of power behind there punch. You were lucky he didn't decide to attack. Glad everything turned out good for you. Some day maybe you'll get that big buck.

coyotefeeder 11-15-2002 07:40 AM

You got a lot of nerve not to panick in that situation. Everything could of changed in a heart beat considering they can run a 100yrd dash in 6 seconds. Brass ones my friend.

If it crawls it falls, if it flies it dies.

SMITTY03 11-15-2002 08:17 AM

Last year, I killed a big doe and after I cleaned it, I put it in a 150 quart ice chest. The next morning when I woke up to hunt, the ice chest was turned over and half of the deer was missing. Bear tracks all around. We see this bear often. It has been tracked by the wildlife and fisheries and has a red tracking collar on. Pretty scary stuff.

RYAN SMITH