Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Problems

Old 10-25-2006, 01:23 AM

Default Problems

I am hunting a new piece of property this year just West of Austin TX. I am in college full time and an RA so I don't get too many chances to get out. I have been out three times this year, but no luck. The first day I had 2 mature deer, one 10pt and one 8pt come in within about an hour of eachother, but each hung up at about 75 yards. The next two times out I saw a few doe, but they all seem to be on a mission moving very quickly just out of range. I hunt near (within about 100 yards, off two major trails I hunt)a few feeders that went up about a month ago, but the deer dont seem to be hitting those either. I have chosen to blame the lack of sightings and feeding on the number of acorns on the ground and the crazy ups and downs of the weather. What can I do to lure the deer that last 30 yards? Anyone else having this trouble right now? Could my excuse be valid?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Problems

You're probably right . In your situation a more agressive tactic like rattling with grunts/snort wheezes would be what I'd try . Acorns are a hard opponent to beat until the rut draws near .