Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Bomb (fact or fiction)?

Old 10-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Buck Bomb (fact or fiction)?

Hey NCSportsman. It may be alittle too early for this to be effective on the bucks a sthe rut is not yet here. The rattling may be a liittle prmature. I would use the scents for the next week or so and maybe a little grunting. rattling this early mat be scaring the deer as it is not usual for this time of year. I would start rattling in a week or so as the pre rut really gets into gera. just my opinion. i had success with the bomb with just a few grunts.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: longislandhunter

Hey NCSportsman. It may be alittle too early for this to be effective on the bucks a sthe rut is not yet here. The rattling may be a liittle prmature. I would use the scents for the next week or so and maybe a little grunting. rattling this early mat be scaring the deer as it is not usual for this time of year. I would start rattling in a week or so as the pre rut really gets into gera. just my opinion. i had success with the bomb with just a few grunts.
Are you located in NC?

Old 10-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

No, NY.I actually did not pick up that the NC in NCsportsmanstood for North Carolina.I though this post was under the Northeast. I am not sure when your rut is so the previous post may not apply.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted in eastern NC last week....Bucks were laying scrapes and starting to chase does...Probably not too early to try...
Old 10-25-2006, 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

I hunted in eastern NC last week....Bucks were laying scrapes and starting to chase does...Probably not too early to try...
Would you try rattling too?
This is my 1st year trying scents and rattling. I get a bad feeling that I'm just scaring deer away, but I have nothing to lose so I'm giving it a shot.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buddy...I must be the worst rattler in the history of rattling...Never have had any good luck with it...One trick that does work for me....I have an area (logging road) that runs parallel in the woods to one of our fields, this area always has scrapes and rubs...Its where the bucks pick up the does before they go into the field...I pour a half a bottle of Tink's 69 into the scrape and hang 3 scent cannisters on limbs along this trail...I usually do this on Sunday afternoon and leave the area until Wednesday....I have killed some nice bucks setting up this area that way....Now this is an area that is good for buck sightings even without fixing it up...But this does help bring the bucks to a clear shooting lane and stops them so you can make a good shot....
Old 10-26-2006, 10:12 AM

i used it the other day and and brought in aweird looking spike. his spikes were about 10 inches and he had two brow tines sticking straight out about 3 inches. I was wondering if I am the only one that thinks it is too loud or am I just paranoid?
Old 10-26-2006, 11:50 AM

Thanks Im going to try it this weekend.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:59 PM
nap

Longislandhunter,
What type of ground blind do you use and have your hunts been more successful?
Old 10-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

I actually create a natural ground blind using groups of trees that have grown closely togetheror a fallen tree.Ibeleive that natural cover is always thebest.I have an eastman outfitters pop up that i have yet to use. i think with anything unnatural such as a pop up blind, you have to leave it in the area you are hunting for a week or two. Although it may blend in, something that was not there yesterday, yet there today will definitely draw attention. Just my beleif.

Asfar asbeing more succesful, thatis hard to say. i have only groundhunted with a bow and this was my first year. second day out I scored my first doe. Ground hunting is hard but extremely challenging. Ilove the challenge and have always been known to do things the hard way.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Buck Bomb (fact or fiction)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.