Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Question about venison appearance (raw) >

Question about venison appearance (raw)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about venison appearance (raw)

Old 10-24-2006, 06:13 PM

Default Question about venison appearance (raw)

Hey guys (and gals),

Took a nice buck yesterday. Carefully dressed him in the field. Brought him home, hung him, skinned him and deboned him. Put the meat in the refrigerator and then was finally able to get to it tonight to trim and wrap it up for the freezer.

I kept the meat covered in a plastic bin. When I looked at the meat tonight, I noticed that some areas of it has started to turn brownon the surface. It didn't smell "gamey" just the appearance was not the dark red that we're used to.

Is the meat still safe to eat? I had trimmed off a lot of the brown areas. but now am wondering if I should of left it alone if it was OK to do so. Your thoughts please.

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 10-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question about venison appearance (raw)

well i know when i take mine out of the refrigerator and put it into a covered bowl to marinate in the refrigerator for a couple days it turns that brown color and its fine, but i dont know about freezing it again, i dont have any experience there
Old 10-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

The meat is still good to eat. It’s just because the meat was exposed to the air even though you had it covered with a plastic bin. To eliminate the brown color next time just cover the meat with saran wrap, leaving no meat exposed to the air when you store it in the fridge...
Old 10-25-2006, 03:32 AM

Thanks guys. Appreciate the insight.

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 10-25-2006, 07:17 AM

My dad own a butcher shop when I was growing up and we had an "open"meat counter. Trailer is right just a little air will turn red meat brown its very good yet just not good looking to the eyes.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

When my grandpa cleans a deer he lets it hang in the barn for two weeks until it had mold on it. Cuts the mold off of it and it has absolutely no game taste to it. Of course it has to be cold enough that the meat wont spoil
Old 10-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Although I don't do it, your gramps is right, and this is the way beef is aged. Ever had a fillet mignon? It once looked the same. Happy grilling
Old 10-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like mentioned air exposure, you are good to go with cutting and wrapping. I use butcher brown wrapon exposed cutswhen fridge aging, never had any discoloration with this method.

Enjoy
Old 10-26-2006, 11:55 AM

sorry to say this but aging beef is in a temputure contraled area. Hanging it in a barn isnt contoaled. Coming from a butcher background its better to get it clean thruoghly inside the cavity and the hide off then to leave it hanging for weeks
Old 10-26-2006, 11:56 AM

i cant spell worth a darn sorry