HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer Tags across the Nation (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/161258-deer-tags-across-nation.html)

Davwilli 10-23-2006 11:42 AM

Deer Tags across the Nation

First of all I am new and this is my first post. Been reading for several days.

I was reading the post about filling game tags and what was the limits. In Arkansas we are allowed 3 total for the year. 2 bucks and a doe, or 2 does and buck. I was shocked to learn that some states you can kill up to 36 deer. My question is, Are these states overan with deer and this is a way of thinning the heard or just real liberal tag limits thinking nobody would kill this many deer. Is it overmanagement or under management. Is there a problem with deer eating crops? I would appreciate somebody shedding some light on this for me..

Ps..great site and I am finding it as addictive as hunting.

Red Lion 10-23-2006 02:58 PM

RE: Deer Tags across the Nation

In Minnesota, I am able to take one buck and at least one doe. The number od does I can take varies depending on what zone and unit I hunt. I guess if I was busy and had time I could take up to 5 does. It was only a few years ago that MN changed to one buck per year, regardless of the season. MN has 1.2 million whitetails, so a few.

timbercruiser 10-23-2006 04:29 PM

It is basically the Game and Fish Commission trying to get a handle on the deer population. By the way in Bama the limit is over 200 per year in most counties.

wibowhntr 10-23-2006 04:31 PM

In Wisconsin when you buy your archerylicense you get oneeither orand two antlerless tags and when you buy you gun license you get one buck tag and two antlerless tags. You can then buy additional antlerless tags at $2/tag for most units. There are some units where you have to shoot an antlerless before you can shoot your buck.

Icetrey 10-23-2006 06:59 PM

In Texas,when you buy your license,you get7 total tags whitetail and mulies combined.You get 4 total buck or anterless deer and 3 just bucks.

HunterKel 10-23-2006 07:02 PM

In NC you can kill six but two must be antlerless.

Rebel Hog 10-23-2006 07:05 PM

What Are Your Tag Limits and Do You Fill Them
[Page: 2 3 ]

HunterKel 10-23-2006 07:05 PM

And I'm just as addicted to this site as I am to hunting too.;)

upnorthmn 10-26-2006 12:29 PM

I seen the reponse for MN. I am in the intensive harvest zone, so I get tags for buck and 4 does. I donate the 4 to the needy. There are so many deer where I hunt that it needs to be thinned out. Going to town (only 2 miles) you can see up to 12 does standing on the side of the road once a month a dead one hit by cars.

Davwilli 10-26-2006 01:45 PM

Rebel hog..that is the post that made me post this question...I was not wanting to know what the tag limits are. Hunting in Arkansas my entire hunting life I had no idea some states where so liberal on tags. The question I was wanting answered is basically this:..Are there that many deer in these states, or lack of hunters actually hunting to kill off the deer needed to establish a health herd.

Thanks for all the responses.